New WIP

Just dropping this in here to gauge opinion. Two styles of ‘g’. Worth continuing as a family? Just lower case so far. Any comments?

Comments

• Nick CookeNick Cooke Posts: 181
    A is a bit thick on the left, thin on the right. 
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,732
    The A looks perfectly balanced. That is, the left is just enough thinner than the right to seem like they are the same weight. To my eye, anyway.
  • Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,397
    Likable! Counter of /v might be a bit large. Bowl of /a feels droopy to me where the rest is so perky. /z might need more contrast. 
    It'll be interesting to see what you do with the caps. The /A here feels comparatively rigid but that's a legitimate option. 
  • K PeaseK Pease Posts: 182
    I like the shapes of it. Perhaps the hair-thin joins are unnecessarily extreme, when they could comfortably be as solid as /v/w/x/g1.
  • John ButlerJohn Butler Posts: 243
    I rather dig, including hair-thin joins. Sort of a Poppl-Inflatio vibe. Hoboid g is charming.
    Counter of v will be altered now, a > maybe, z > maybe. 

The hair-thin joins are what gives it the zing. 
  • Cory MaylettCory Maylett Posts: 245
    It's fun. I like it. The bottom of the stem on the b could drop down a bit — especially the pointy part, which should probably extend down to the bottom of the overshoot. In that same letter, the point where the bottom of the bowl connects to the stem seems a little off and unlike anything else in the other letters.

• lovely!

the counter in /o is a bit taller than the other round letters, which makes it appear a bit too narrow, to my eye. it stands out more when they are together ("dog")

The bottom of the b is like the top of the q, but you’re right that they should both extend to the overshoot. 
    Updated with altered b, q, v,  o is wider. Alternate (not as droopy) a and g (bottom) Plus caps.
  • Miles NewlynMiles Newlyn Posts: 236
    horizontals of Z could be thicker.
    Would like to see same text in uppercase only - some interesting widths.
    Here you go Miles. With thicker horizontals on the Z
    Looking good. Certainly /W and maybe /M are too wide. /J looks too slight I think. I like the new /a. I’d consider making /G less /C-ish and /v less /u-ish. 
  • Eris AlarEris Alar Posts: 420
    Love the vibe! 

The cap /G looks more like a cap /C to me when reading it. 
    I’m not happy with C and G. They need to be more like the top of the S. M and W are definitely too wide. C isn’t too bad, maybe just G needs changing. J will be wider. 
    I wonder if /S is too soft amidst the caps. The lean plus the foxtail terminals plus the unconventional modulation may be too different. The softness of the foxtails there (and /C and /G) sticks out more due to the flared terminals everywhere else in the caps. On the other hand /C/G/S do share the liveliness of the lowercase.  
  • The lowercase is lively — have you considered making the capitals more informal or not flared? Of course, /C /Q or/S could remain as they are. I think it would have a wider application potential.
  • jeremy tribbyjeremy tribby Posts: 212
    edited July 2022
    the construction of the /N stands out to me - the flares make it look a little bit like a backwards И? I think it's possible reducing the flare on the bottom right, or straightening out the diagonal a little bit, could help with that. but it may change things stylistically
    Now that I see it smaller, I see how the mix of high and low contrast is working. I still think there would be merit in a display version for larger sizes that relaxes the zing. I know this runs opposite to typical display cuts where all the thins get thinner, but it makes sense to me somehow.
  • Miles NewlynMiles Newlyn Posts: 236
    The U looks back to front.

The U looks back to front.

Yes it does. Beginner mistake. 
  • The 1st /g is pure genius. I will love to see much more of that /g into the rest of the alphabet
    The 1st /g is pure genius. I will love to see much more of that /g into the rest of the alphabet
    It may be genius, but I’m not such a genius that I could apply that ‘g’ into the other letters. 
    As an ambigrammist I can tell you it's possible to do it to the /a, but no, I wouldn't recommend it ordinarily.
  • The 1st /g is pure genius. I will love to see much more of that /g into the rest of the alphabet
    I agree!

Nick Cooke said:
    It may be genius, but I’m not such a genius that I could apply that ‘g’ into the other letters. 

And I think you are selling yourself short here, Nick. s, f, e, are already giving me similar vibes. The 'a' could maybe be helped if the bowl curved into the stem (like it does in e.g. Lineto's Circular, but less subtle). 
    Thanks Jasper. I didn’t do the ‘a’ as you suggest because I really don’t like the bowl of the ‘a’ curving into the stem and I think it would look rather fiddly in the small space available. 
    The C and G have different top terminals, but I don't think that detracts from the design, there's no rule that says they must be the same. Most glyphs have been subtly tweaked in some way as the design progresses. 
    I have been working on the lightest extreme to produce three intermediate weights:
    edited August 2022
    Maybe /g’s bowl could be taller—the bottom open counter lets a lot of white in in the boldest weights. 
    Overhang of the top of /C works well in bold but might be toned down in light.
    I deepened the bowl in the light, and it now looks better in Demi.