JAF Test Text Generator

It seems that Just Another Foundry's incredibly useful text generator is not there anymore. Does anyone know of a similar tool? I'd use adhesiontext but I like JAF's generator for the accented character support and punctuation.
Cheers in advance!

Comments

• DrawcardDrawcard Posts: 51
    I'm a big fan of Word-o-mat: http://glyphsextensions.com/word-o-mat/

It will let you generate dummy text for a number of languages or you can import your own word list if you need something more custom. Plenty of config options as well.
  • Paul HanslowPaul Hanslow Posts: 159
    Thanks for commenting on this Tim. I was an avid user of JAF's text generator as it was mighty helpful when designing/proofing type work. 
  • Simon CozensSimon Cozens Posts: 724
    Possibly might make more sense to turn it into Javascript so it can work on any hosting environment...

Here are a couple of similar projects I've been involved with:

• TimAhrensTimAhrens Posts: 46
    Simon, that makes perfect sense. Javascript is probably the way to go for a browser version.
    Small update: It seems I will be able to get the current Python version to work again on my server if I use a small PHP wrapper and move to Python 3. Right now, I am too busy but it should be doable by the end of the month.
  • DrawcardDrawcard Posts: 51
    Thanks Tim! That's good of you.
  • Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,397
    TimAhrens said:
    The generator is working again, after a few tweaks.

Now I'm getting the actual python script in the results window instead of the generated string.
    Seems my hosting company messed something up again. I will investigate.

edited July 2021
    Okay, confirmed. My my hosting company (DomainFactory) silently made a change that broke my scripts, this time, without me making or requesting any changes, and without a warning or notification. Not what I would expect from a respectable company. They have become quite useless in recent years. Can anyone recommend a good web hosting service available to German customers?

Hetzner.de will give you web hosting with Python CGI for 4.90€ a month.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Simon. I’d be looking for top-notch customer service and reliability rather than cheap pricing. Maybe their other products are worth having a look, though.
    edited July 2021
    Update: The generator is fixed again, for now, using a PHP wrapper. Needless to say, without any meaningful support from my hosting service. Let’s see how long it lasts this time.

• Not to open a separate thread for a related question:

Is there a generator that lists all required pairs? For example, I would like to see how cap B looks with all the other cap letters (or just some of them, etc.)?

Guess it's super easy for those who use Python but asking for the rest of us :)
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    all required pairs
    Required for what?

• Igor PetrovicIgor Petrovic Posts: 261
    edited June 2022
    Sorry I wasn't clear :)

I would need a text generator that lists all pairs between two specified sets of characters.

For example, I specify that:

Set 1 is (A,B,C)

Set 2 is (X, Y, Z)

And then I get the pairs list:

AX AY AZ BX BY BZ CX CY CZ

In other words, I need a simple pair generator.
  • Oh, seems I just found it, once I realized I should search for "pair generator" instead of text generator. 

http://www.junikstudio.com/kernings/
    Check out also Galvanized Jets, which puts those pairs in the context of words.
  • Thanks!

It seems that you can't filter just some problematic pairs to inspect, but rather make a thorough font test. Great testing tool anyway.
  • Adam JagoszAdam Jagosz Posts: 689
    @Igor Petrovic FWIW, here's a similar kerning string generator. You can add more than two sets e.g. ABC xyz abc will produce:
    AxaAxbAxcAyaAybAycAzaAzbAzcA
    BxaBxbBxcByaBybBycBzaBzbBzcB
    CxaCxbCxcCyaCybCycCzaCzbCzcC
  • This is an amazing tester, not only for pairs. Somehow, I missed it out so far. Congrats @Adam Jagosz, well done!
  • My testing page have a similar tool.. its no longer online on my website but someone uploaded it here: https://musictypefoundry.com/text-font-testing/tools.php
  • Glad it's live, I used it a lot, thanks Pablo!
  • Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,389
    Pablo, I believe @Lasse Fister has recently ported your tools to js :)