JAF Test Text Generator

It seems that Just Another Foundry's incredibly useful text generator is not there anymore. Does anyone know of a similar tool? I'd use adhesiontext but I like JAF's generator for the accented character support and punctuation.
Cheers in advance!

Comments

• DrawcardDrawcard Posts: 42
    I'm a big fan of Word-o-mat: http://glyphsextensions.com/word-o-mat/

It will let you generate dummy text for a number of languages or you can import your own word list if you need something more custom. Plenty of config options as well.
  • TimAhrensTimAhrens Posts: 34
    edited June 10
    I “upgraded” my account at the hosting company a couple of weeks ago and then found out that the new server does not support Python any more. Sorry about this. I have just enquired whether there is a way to get the Python scripts to work again but I am not very optimistic.
    The text generator has been open source for quite a while:
    https://github.com/justanotherfoundry/text-generator
    If anyone wants to host it, feel free to do so!
    Also, I will port the code to C++ in the next few months for another big project I am working on, and I could make a free Glyphs plug-in as a side-product if that helps.
  • Paul HanslowPaul Hanslow Posts: 84
    Thanks for commenting on this Tim. I was an avid user of JAF's text generator as it was mighty helpful when designing/proofing type work. 
  • Simon CozensSimon Cozens Posts: 551
    Possibly might make more sense to turn it into Javascript so it can work on any hosting environment...

Here are a couple of similar projects I've been involved with:

Simon, that makes perfect sense. Javascript is probably the way to go for a browser version.
    Small update: It seems I will be able to get the current Python version to work again on my server if I use a small PHP wrapper and move to Python 3. Right now, I am too busy but it should be doable by the end of the month.
    edited June 23
    The generator is working again, after a few tweaks.
    If you want to port it to JavaScript, go for it. I don’t have the time for that.
  • DrawcardDrawcard Posts: 42
    Thanks Tim! That's good of you.
  • Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,181
    TimAhrens said:
    The generator is working again, after a few tweaks.

Now I'm getting the actual python script in the results window instead of the generated string.
    Seems my hosting company messed something up again. I will investigate.

edited July 1
    Okay, confirmed. My my hosting company (DomainFactory) silently made a change that broke my scripts, this time, without me making or requesting any changes, and without a warning or notification. Not what I would expect from a respectable company. They have become quite useless in recent years. Can anyone recommend a good web hosting service available to German customers?

• Simon CozensSimon Cozens Posts: 551
    Hetzner.de will give you web hosting with Python CGI for 4.90€ a month.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Simon. I’d be looking for top-notch customer service and reliability rather than cheap pricing. Maybe their other products are worth having a look, though.
    edited July 1
    Update: The generator is fixed again, for now, using a PHP wrapper. Needless to say, without any meaningful support from my hosting service. Let’s see how long it lasts this time.