Favorite ultralight diacritical marks

Any really good examples come to mind?

Comments

• LucasFonts’ recent Koning Display comes with an alternate set of monolinear punctuation and diacritics.

• nice idea, but the different treatment of the dot (e/i) is inconsistent and the tiny diacritics of the ultrabold do not work at all (i.m.h.o.).
    In the light there is no emphasised variant of the polish l-stroke …
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    edited October 2020
    Here are a couple of ideas, suggested by the headline style of Paris Match, 1964.
    1. A font that removes diacritics, as a stylistic set.
    2. Horizontal line that represents acute, grave and circumflex.

The style is discretionary in PM—note how déjà has no accents, but arrivée does.
  • Typo-philosophical quandaries:
    Beginner: Is the /i's tittle a diacritic? 
    Advanced: Should treatment of /g's ear be the same as an attached horn or ogonek mark?
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    edited October 2020
     Is the /i's tittle a diacritic? 
    Only in Turkish etc.
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    edited October 2020
    Beginner: Is the /i's tittle a diacritic? 
    IIRC the tittle was invented to distinguish i in textura so…maybe.
  • Beginner: Is the /i's tittle a diacritic?  – Yes (of course)

Advanced: Should treatment of /g's ear be the same as an attached horn or ogonek mark?  – No
  • Piotr GrochowskiPiotr Grochowski Posts: 91
    edited October 2020
    Advanced: Should treatment of /g's ear be the same as an attached horn or ogonek mark?
    I get it. It's analogous to the ear in σ not unlike how the diacritic in i is analogous to the dot above in some other glyphs, but not a horn, let alone ogonek.
  • Adam JagoszAdam Jagosz Posts: 689
    edited October 2020
    Should treatment of /g's ear be the same as an attached horn or ogonek mark?
    This 'treatment' is not an established practice of any sort, so I don't think there are any rules that would prohibit it or not, other than precedent. I don't think I would personally apply this treatment to the Vietnamese horn either though. Maybe go one step further and leave it out of Vietnamese Acircumflex, Abreve etc. and only apply it to the secondary diacritic (the tone mark)? Via the locl feature.
  • diakritika orion6
    Not ultralight, but light: Orion
  • Stadt from Public Type uses hairline diacritics, and the aesthetic is also pulled into other marks and symbols like the parentheses, arrows, etc.