FontLab VI now shipping

Comments

• Congratulations on the release after all these years of hard work (and patience)!
  • Ale PaulAle Paul Posts: 33
    edited December 2017
    Congrats! 

where can I set to see the “class Kerned glyphs in blue color (or another)” as in FL5?
  • It's handled a bit differently. In a kerning window in VI, you have several indicators as to whether a glyph stands for just the glyph, or a class:

- for a class, the lines below the glyphs are blue instead of gray (not the kerning adjustment, but the line itself)

- the info bar above shows the class name instead of glyph name

Maybe there's a third one I am forgetting. But at least these two!

• Sweet!! Perfect timing. congrats
  • Congratulations!

Just installed VI.

It would take some time to get used on new interface and testing all new options, like with every new version of any software.

I have a question:

Can Toolbar be rotated?
    Instead of vertical, to become horizontal?

• If you grab it from the very top, you can drag it to a different edge of the main window, the top or bottom if you want it to be horizontal. It can also be a floating palette if you drag it to one of the edges of the screen instead.
  • Igor FreibergerIgor Freiberger Posts: 250
    edited December 2017
    I made a short screen recording to show that.
    Our Help gives more details about the toolbar and the panels.
    More instructional stuff is on the way.
  • Thank you, just did it.
  • Congratulations guys! This is great!
  • André SimardAndré Simard Posts: 185
    edited December 2017
    OMG! Great news. I just take a close look at the new tools. Seems great! However, it's look like it's a new apps to learn. 
  • I am preparing a quick guide to FL5 users. It should be available until Sunday.
    Great idea Igor thanks in advance. In the same way as Ray Larabie did with the old FL?

• We just released version 6.0.1 fixing a number of issues and also adding new options to paste and duplicate.

André, I am not aware of Ray's guide. Is it still available?
  • I am preparing a quick guide to FL5 users. It should be available until Sunday.
    From Sunday hopefully? Two days is a very short timeframe of availability.
  • Why did you have to change the pen tool? It worked perfectly fine in FL5. Now it's a PITA. Takes twice as long to draw anything. 
  • Why did you have to change the pen tool? It worked perfectly fine in FL5. Now it's a PITA. Takes twice as long to draw anything. 
    Nick, I would be most interested if you could explain why you prefer the FLS5 Pen over the FLVI Pen. If you'd like to explain, feel free to write me at adam@fontlab.com. I'd like to get to the bottom of this.
  • We just released version 6.0.1 fixing a number of issues and also adding new options to paste and duplicate.

André, I am not aware of Ray's guide. Is it still available?
    What a mistake I did. Sorry about that. It's not from Ray Larabie :/ The book: Learn Fontlab fast was wrote by Leslie Cabarga.  You can get it here: https://issuu.com/freelancewangxuan/docs/learn-fontlab-fast---leslie-cabarga--2004-
  • The book similar to Leslie's would take a year or even more. I will be very surprised if Igor writes it in a week. ;) But anyway that's better than nothing to start using FL VI.
  • Alex VisiAlex Visi Posts: 185
    edited December 2017
    Wow, that’s really disapointing and surprising. There were a lot of bugs in the last few beta builds… and of course they are in the trial version!

So we are supposed to pay almost 700 dollars for an app that crashes every 15 minutes (and I really mean it), destroys font files (so you have to save it after every movement), and even unable to import classes/metrics/kerning? That’s really basic functionality and it’s not working properly yet. Guys, sorry for thi negative comment, I love Font Lab and I believe in its huge potential, but it’s ridiculous to sell an unfinished app…
  • Alex said:
    So we are supposed to pay almost 700 dollars for an app that crashes every 15 minutes (and I really mean it), destroys font files (so you have to save it after every movement), and even unable to import classes/metrics/kerning? 
    Mac Fontlab users have had it that way for over a decade, so why change?
  • So, I have a support question to FontLab about not being able to sign in, but I'm not allowed to ask it at FontLab without first signing in. I haven't lost my password, it just stopped working. I asked for a new password, and it says it was sent, but a day later it still hasn't shown up in my inbox (or any other part of my email.)

How do I get a new password?

I've tried twice to get one from the sign-in page. It just isn't working. I would really like to try out the new software. I've been reading up on the new tools and am eager to give them a try.
  • Try sending an email to support (at) fontlab (dot) com and ask for their help.
  • So, I have a support question to FontLab about not being able to sign in, but I'm not allowed to ask it at FontLab without first signing in. I haven't lost my password, it just stopped working. I asked for a new password, and it says it was sent, but a day later it still hasn't shown up in my inbox (or any other part of my email.)

How do I get a new password?

I've tried twice to get one from the sign-in page. It just isn't working. I would really like to try out the new software. I've been reading up on the new tools and am eager to give them a try.
    Beau, 

are you talking about https://support.fontlab.com/ (which is our relatively new support portal) or https://forum.fontlab.com/ ?

Note that https://support.fontlab.com/support/login is new (two months old or so) and your old login credentials won't work — but you can also use your Google, Facebook or Twitter account to sign in there. 
  • support.fontlab.com/support is the one I was trying. I will try signing in with google. Though my password doesn't work with forum either. In my experience (almost 10 years now) with the forum, whenever I didn't sign in for more than a month, my password would stop working. This isn't recent. I just haven't really tried to make it work for a couple years.
  • It sounds like a no-brainer, but I love that there is a sketchboard.
  • We fixed two or three dozen bugs from the last Public Preview build prior to shipping, and we fixed another ~ 25 bugs in the 6.0.1 release a few days ago. The overwhelming majority of bugs reported have been fixed, including nearly all bugs reported in the last few weeks prior to shipping 6.0.

Anyone who knows and cares about a particular bug, please make sure we have it logged already—and if not, then report it, including enough detail for us to reproduce it. That's how bugs get fixed.
  • Is there a way to get the updates without having to download a whole new install? Like an update button that does it on the side and allows you to relaunch the app for the new updates to take effect?
  • Is there a way to get the updates without having to download a whole new install? Like an update button that does it on the side and allows you to relaunch the app for the new updates to take effect?
    This is something that is on our list, as we realize the current system is not ideal. Unfortunately, there are still no easily available cross-platform solutions for this (a bit surprising in 2017), but we're moderately optimistic. 
  • Wow, somehow missed this news --congrats Thomas, I know this has been cooking for quite some time!
  • AbiRasheedAbiRasheed Posts: 238
    edited December 2017
    @Adam Twardoch Ah okay, no issues. What about something similar to what Adobe does for updates using Adobe Application manager?