This is what Monotype is doing instead of anything helpful

While the promotions tool is still in parts all over the floor and all vital site operations are being handled by broken algorithms and outsourced chat agents, MyFonts is focused on minting apes.

Comments

• James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    You don’t have to do business with Monotype. When it became embarrassing to have them as a partner I just didn’t renew my contract.
  • Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    edited June 2022
    I didn't see this one becuase I have an email filter that doesn't allow anything with the term NFT. It's an interesting move considering the polarized opinion on the topic. Some people see crypto as exciting and progressive while others classify it as fraudulent and evidence of a need for stronger market legislation. However, I don't think this crusade would be significantly more expensive to pull off than any other MyFonts marketing campaign. Maybe there's cogent overlap of crypto fans and people who think Helvetica is cool. Damn—that last sentence feels too plausible. Personally, I think crypto feels shady and Helvetica is the furthest thing from cool. But I admit that Helvetica is useful and crypto is handy for doing crime and probably some other activities. I'm struggling to see the positive side of this. Maybe it'll be short lived?
  • John ButlerJohn Butler Posts: 243
    The purpose of NFTs and cryptobollocks is to part fools with their money.
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    It’s to be expected.
    Most of the marketing images I make for MyFonts etc. are already NFT-worthy art, and I’m not the only one.
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,732
    @John Hudson do you have any links or info you can share about that?
  • Dusan JelesijevicDusan Jelesijevic Posts: 66
    edited June 2022
    Monotype looks like flea market meets dafont.
    You can find one quality release among 100.
    I specifically mean on MyFonts.
  • Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    Despite my not having any good feelings about NFTs, I'd love to hear from anyone who has anything positive to say about this campaign. Also, I've been thinking about it more and wondering if this is part of a strategy to differentiate their MyFonts storefront branding from Monotype's other storefronts.
  • Yves MichelYves Michel Posts: 151
    Monotype looks like flea market meets dafont.

What is the meaning of this concerning daFont?
  • John ButlerJohn Butler Posts: 243
    Is Monotype discontinuing FontExplorerX in order to push the management interface of its subscription service as an alternative?
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    Monotype has a subscription service? I thought they shut that down.
  • Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,389
    Skyfonts is gone, what was Mosaic is now "Monotype Fonts"
  • Whenever big companies get into NFT I wonder if they got duped into it by some consultant, or if they actively set out to defraud their customers, or both. In the meantime, I'll wait for fontcoin or some such.
  • Eris AlarEris Alar Posts: 420
    edited July 2022
    I hate monotypes business practices, but I wish I could use many of their typefaces, I use to subscribe to their subscription service via MyFonts ages ago and got a lot of value from it. I cannot see any current subscription service, does one exist?
  • It’s called Monotype Fonts, but chances are it’s not what you were hoping for. Plans start at a whopping $2,500/year. While that gives you access to the library for prototyping, it covers only 3 fonts to be used commercially per quarter, for either on the web or in an app.
    (Don’t get me started on the German translation from the Zeitalter des gegossenen Hartbleisatzes.)
    @Florian Hardwig wow! Yeah that is not what I hoped for. It seems baffling to me when they could be a genuine Adobe Fonts alternative 
  • Leave it to monotype to come up with the worst possible subscription model.  The only thing they excel at is shooting themselves in the foot.
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    @JoyceKetterer and even had themselves the gun ;-)

• Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
    edited July 2022
    I have the darnest feeling my fonts sell on there, but they manipulate the data so it seems no sales transpired. And so they can collect the whole sum and not pay me royalties... it's only a personal hunch tho, nothing confirmed.
  • Rob BarbaRob Barba Posts: 86
    Honestly, does this behavior from Comcast  Electronic Arts Monotype surprise anyone?
  • Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,389
    Oh, interesting that skyfonts is not gone! Good to know
  • If I had to choose the best place for buying fonts in terms of not having shady practices and helping type designers, where would that be? The designers' official website?

edited July 2022
    the thorny part for me is Monotype own a number of exclusive typefaces, both in their own library and from FontFont, and I guess now H&Co (but they still seem a seperate entity from a customer perspective). Monotypes prices have pretty much always been out of reach for me, hence the old subscription being enticing. I use to love using Carter Sans for example but at around AUD $830 for the 8 font pack it is just not feasible to licence because I like it. But this has the flow on effect of me never trying it in projects as it is not available. 

I truely believe if they lowered their prices for their exclusives and / or had a subscription model  similar to what is now Adobe Fonts then they could attract a lot of customers. 

Heck, if they don’t want to manage it then they could also simply add all their exclusives to Adobe Fonts, they have some there but the offering is limited. 
  • @Scott-Martin Kosofsky I regret saying that.  They might take it as a challenge and come up with something worse.  It could be a failure of imagination on my part that I can't currently think of anything worse.
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,732
    Eris Alar said:
    I use to love using Carter Sans for example 
    Ah! I just licensed this recently to use on my grandparents’ grave markers. Lovely typeface, looking forward to coming up with future uses.
    @Thomas Phinney it is such a lovey design, great choice and I hope you find many uses for it :-)
  • BTW, new poster size at MyFonts is hilarious.