Options

Resellers with flexible licensing options?

Hi all! Hoping to pick some brains....has anyone managed to find a reseller/vendor that has REALLY flexible options regarding which licensing you allow/disallow? And the terms therein. I'm really looking to be able to 'turn off' mobile app licensing, and server licensing, and any other licenses that I prefer to do on a case by case basis. I also don't want the vendor/reseller to be able to set up custom licensing without me being privy or accepting it. So far I know that Fonspring seems to have more flexibility like this - but I can't find a single other. Would love to get more eyes on my fonts, but not at the expense of licensing that really doesn't suit me :( Anyone? 

Comments

• Options
    JoyceKettererJoyceKetterer Posts: 792
    edited January 2022
    It used to be that most of them let you say that certain kinds of licensing aren't to be sold.  Is it really true they don't allow that anymore?  that would be weird because plenty of "basic" font licenses permit some of the "add-on" options. Therefore, the reseller needs to offer a bunch of add-ons that might not be needed for a given font.  You have to be able to turn that off, no? 

I mean, not for monotype, because they already have more fonts than they want but are unwilling to solve that problem with curation. So, they are actively trying to make it hard to add fonts.  Plus, they really don't care about the Myfonts market.  It's been clear for a while that Myfonts is just a means by which their sales team can get their paws on fonts to the work out short sighted bad deals they call OEM or Enterprise even when those terms aren't accurate.  

• Options
    JoeManbeckJoeManbeck Posts: 26
    edited January 2022
    As far as I know, we're probably the most flexible with regards to this question. We allow foundries to set their own desktop license and turn off other license types as they wish. Many foundries trust us to negotiate custom licenses on their behalf, but signing our additional Custom Licensing Agreement is not necessary to sell on our platform. In that case we always run custom licenses and pricing by the foundry before completing a sale.
    It seems like the I Love Typography store has some granular options, but I don't know all their details.
  • Options
    John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,977
    ilovetypography.com allows foundries to set their own license terms and to select and set license purchase types, tiers, and prices.
  • Options
    As far as I know, we're probably the most flexible...
    It would be helpful if you clarified who "we" is.
  • Options
    Joe is at FontSpring.
  • Options
    It's been clear for a while that Myfonts is just a means by which their sales team can get their paws on fonts to the work out short sighted bad deals they call OEM or Enterprise even when those terms aren't accurate.
    Any possibility of elaborating on that?
  • Options
    @Nicholas Garner Sorry, I don't really understand what you want me to elaborate on?  I'm not going to talk too much about monotype's business practices because all my information is second hand but if I can clarify something I will.
  • Options
    @Nicholas Garner I've also read a few things about this....here is a recent-ish example - the whole thread is really interesting. 
    https://typedrawers.com/discussion/3718/experience-with-monotype-royalties-owed#latest