Nebiolo?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited April 2021 in Type Business
The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• George ThomasGeorge Thomas Posts: 631
    edited April 2021
    See the last paragraph in this article.

• Marc OxborrowMarc Oxborrow Posts: 220
    edited April 2021
    I wonder if your question was covered in this Type@Cooper presentation?
  • I also found this on wikipedia.com:
    In 1985, Linotype AG purchased Stempel's type department. Stempel closed down in 1986, donating all of its type and equipment to the Darmstadt University of Technology.[2] Schriften-Service D. Stempel GmbH has possession of the matrices of Stempel, Haas, Klingspor Bros., Deberny & Peignot, Berthold, C.E. Weber, Fonderie Olive, and the Nebiolo foundry and continues to cast their types today.

• Depends on what assets you mean. Matrices and other physical assets, historical documents and specimens, or intellectual property?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Depending on what the intellectual property is, you may have different answers. I don’t think that any European country’s design patents last so long that typefaces Nebiolo would have registered are still protected. Each European country has different laws, but I doubt other forms of intellectual property protection could apply to typeface designs in Italy that are not digital font files.

If you are referring to texts written by Nebiolo staff, or items printed by Nebiolo, only items from 1951 or earlier are likely in the public domain yet (whereas texts with bylines attributing them to specific authors probably only enter the public domain 70 years after the author’s death). To republish content like articles, etc – or whole Nebiolo specimens – from the 1950s onward, you might indeed need some sort of waiver from the company that currently owns the Nebiolo assets granting you publication rights.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PabloImpallariPabloImpallari Posts: 777
    edited April 2021
    Dont lie to youself. You love nebilo. We all do!. Go ahead and do it! Dont make us pray!!!!
  • Depends on what assets you mean. Matrices and other physical assets, historical documents and specimens, or intellectual property?
    Aside from who bought matrices or such things, which are not relevant in terms of intellectual property, it’s as George Thomas wrote: Nebiolo Printech was started in 1993 after Nebiolo bankruptcy, so the legacy is there.

But I believe Dan is right in saying «Depending on what the intellectual property is, you may have different answers. I don’t think that any European country’s design patents last so long that typefaces Nebiolo would have registered are still protected.»

So, given Dan’s premise about patents which I consider correct, I think in case of living designers one should ask directly. Or, as with almost all of the Nebiolo designers which are dead, it could be a nice thing to ask surviving relatives, if one can track them down.