Critique needed for this customized wordmark!

Shravan A SShravan A S Posts: 23
edited August 2020 in Type Design Critiques
Hi,
Here is a wordmark which is based on the typeface Andes neue. I have tweaked the e/ to form a ligature with o/ and redraw the B/. from scratch. What to do you think about it?
Majorly -
1) I am worried about the weight of B/. wether it matches with the rest of the letters or not
2) How to bring the DNA of 'eond' into B/

Comments

• Instead of modifying an existing typeface, why not create something based on your /B? That would make more sense, be more original, likely look more fitting(?), and would also make for a more interesting type critique. Genuinely interested in your approach as to why you dismissed that option.

More on topic/in line with your actual question: The /B has a different curve tension than the rest of the wordmark. Specifically, it seems lower in curve tension. Also, it looks very... weird. An /n with smooth transitions and vertical swooshy terminals would never go with such a /B (spurless on the lower left, with a weird diagonal cutout, and a diagnoal terminal). So in no point do they actually visually relate here - sorry.

• Instead of modifying an existing typeface, why not create something based on your /B? That would make more sense, be more original, likely look more fitting(?), and would also make for a more interesting type critique. Genuinely interested in your approach as to why you dismissed that option.

More on topic/in line with your actual question: The /B has a different curve tension than the rest of the wordmark. Specifically, it seems lower in curve tension. Also, it looks very... weird. An /n with smooth transitions and vertical swooshy terminals would never go with such a /B (spurless on the lower left, with a weird diagonal cutout, and a diagnoal terminal). So in no point do they actually visually relate here - sorry.

Hey philipp,
    I got your point. I made the adjustments you suggested for B/ I used o's curves as reference to add curve tension to B. Does this make it at least a little better?
  • Actually i started sketching and came up wit this. Any major issues? its just a refined sketch.
  • Your revised version is certainly more visually pleasing, although it might make sense to continue the rhythm by joining the /œ/, /n/ and /d/.
  • There are many distinct gaps (in the B, next to the n) only the oe is connected. Either connect more or none? 
  • Hey Thanks guys, actually it makes so much sense. Here I drew the Nick Curtis said:
    Your revised version is certainly more visually pleasing, although it might make sense to continue the rhythm by joining the /œ/, /n/ and /d/.

Hey Thanks guys, actually it makes so much sense. Here I drew the the vector. It is slightly thicker and wider. And i removed the eo ligature. It flows so much better. 
    I want to know if the n/ looks like cursive r/ in any way?
    Also attached the connected version.

• Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
    edited August 2020
    You have used the font Intro from our foundry, but you, perhaps, don't seem to understand the logic of its contruction.
    - Make the curvature of the cut lines echo the nearby oval.
    - Make the two ovals of the B meet in a wedge in the middle, not one springing from the other, but both from the same point.
    - the top left part of the /n and the bottom right of the d should be the same element, inverted. Also, in the n it is skewed, but in the d it is cut vertically.That makes no sense to me.
    Make the n and d connect in the same style that the e and o do.

It's maybe best to take a marker and write out the mark 30 times until you understand the logic. Select the three best letterings and build on them. Make it your own.