Rounded Cyrillic M

Adam JagoszAdam Jagosz Posts: 689
edited January 2020 in Technique and Theory
I've been wondering whether this design, three vertical stems with rounded apices, would be good for the Cyrillic capital and small letters Em (М м). Latin Mm followed by Cyrillic in all samples.
The above examples don't look too refined, but otherwise, apart from adding another set of verticals to a script overwhelmed by them, is there a legibility issue? Can this shape be mistaken for Cyrillic Te (Т т)?
I guess this is an example of such failure:
Note how Zoo 300 tries to mitigate the possible confusion by nudging the apices outwards.
Some, if not most, of these typefaces avoid the issue altogether, for the price of style.
About these I'm not certain.
For Blackletter, this seems to be the only option either way.

Comments

• Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
    edited January 2020
    It is preferable to use the shape with the acute angles for both uppercase and lowercase. If the lc м has to be like the one in Bauhaus (two Roman arches), add a stroke above the т to differentiate them.

• Love that Carol Gothic sample!
    Vasil: The м is one of the two glyphs in that sample that strike me as breaking the unwritten rules of blackletter (with у being the other one).
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    Even with the rounded top, I'd worry that the three-legged М may be mistaken for Т.
  • Viktor RubenkoViktor Rubenko Posts: 119
    edited January 2020
    Can this shape be mistaken for Cyrillic Te (Т т)? 

Yes, it does. It looks like cursive T, making text less legible, even unreadable.
    cyrillic cursive t