Need name suggestion for the axis controlling apex in variable font

Hello TypeDrawers!

This is my first topic here, hopefully I'm doing it right.

Currently I am playing with variable font format and want to add an axis controlling the middle apex especially on M and W.
I try to create something like this:

What's the best name for this axis? Is "Middle apex height" right?

Any suggestion will help.

Thank you!
Tagged:

Comments

• Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    Crotch?

• Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,731
    edited January 2020
    An “apex” is at the top, like the join at the top of /A or perhaps the one in the middle of /W. “Crotch” is the opposite, the center join in the /M, but because of its particular anatomical meaning, is arguably not an ideal word to use in an interface. Also, if the middle part of the /W is also adjusted downwards, it is no longer an apex, yet still arguably not a crotch.

“Vertex" is an appropriate word that would apply to the center junction in both /M and /W.
    waistline?

• Depth? Cleavage?
  • waistline?

To me, that means primarily the height of the traditionally mid-height things, such as the crossbar on H, centre bar of E, and possibly the middle bits of P, R, G, F as well.
    I was thinking the middle bits of the M and W where all hell breaks loose ;-)
  • Center joint/break?
  • K PeaseK Pease Posts: 182
    Since it seems to be only relevant to M and W, there is more clarity in mentioning them than in any other words you choose. So call it "M-W Center Depth" or similar.
    I do believe "depth" is more descriptive than "height" here because it's a matter of how far the angle plunges into the letterform, in either direction. "Height" implies distance above the baseline, and I assume that you aren't making it so that setting a "low" center is deep for M and shallow for W.
  • While the term cleavage seems good🙂🙂🙂, I think vertex depth describes it well!
    K Pease said:
    Since it seems to be only relevant to M and W, there is more clarity in mentioning them than in any other words you choose. So call it "M-W Center Depth" or similar.
    I do believe "depth" is more descriptive than "height" here because it's a matter of how far the angle plunges into the letterform, in either direction. "Height" implies distance above the baseline, and I assume that you aren't making it so that setting a "low" center is deep for M and shallow for W.
    Yes, I agree with you. Depth is the better term I think, and I am planning to make it clearer for the user by adding (M,W,w) after "Vertex Depth".