Haultin's Augustine

Have an happy new year 2020 !
I began my work on Haultin's Augustine some weeks ago and it begins to be interesting. The lower cases are the most advanced and capitals remain a work in progress. My goal is to produce a very readable typeface at the size of pocket books, and which is space efficient. Meanwhile I would draw something with some softness and a fairly velvety texture.

Comments

• Nice! The vertical alignments vary quite a bit (/a is very tall, bowls of /b/d/p/q are small, etc.) but I think that lends softness and a letterpressed quality. /f_/egrave needs fixing. /x feels upside down to me, and hyphen feels too low. I like the thickening into the ascender serifs; hood of /f could likewise be more substantial. /t could have a little more above the crossbar and/or at the outstroke. 
  • Simon CozensSimon Cozens Posts: 433
    That is absolutely gorgeous.
  • Very pretty overall! I find the monolinearity of the bowl of /g/ a bit uncanny, though. And the /n/ and especially /u/ are very narrow, but I suppose that's part of the intended style.
  • ivan louetteivan louette Posts: 283
    Thanks a lot for your comments ! @Craig Eliason yes the vertical alignments variability is intentional and based on what I saw repeatingly on the printed material , however I have reduced a little bit some non useful differences. About small /d bowl it was a very common feature for more than a century from Jenson and Griffo up to Garamont. I experienced that it clearly plays an important role in readability. But Haultin has extended it to /p here and, less significantly, to /b and /q while the /o is much bigger. Seemingly He clearly understood how to optimize readability at small sizes, which were his specialty. /f_/egrave was puzzling me indeed because I strictly respected the inclination and positioning of the grave accent ! I even have thought at drawing a ligature (I am not the first one to do that) and I have no solution at this stage. I will take a look at /x and you are probably right about hyphen, particularly when used as the minus. @Simon Cozens Thanks, you are too kind ;)@Christian Thalmann I will see what I can do fot /g while /u and /n have the exact width that Haultin designed, amongst other features, to optimize this small sized typeface.
  • Not only is this excellent work (bravo!), I think it sets an important example: that designing a type for small text by beginning with a small model, rather than scaling down a larger one, yields results that work perfectly for their purpose. I am truly impressed! Please let me know if you make this available. As I’m sure you know, Haultin cut a beautiful petit-texte italic and a petit-texte Greek with an extravagant set of ligatures. I hope you’ll consider making similar types to fill out the family.

@Scott-Martin Kosofsky Thank you so much for your so kind encouragements ! I have no experience in drawing Greek characters, but of course I could take a look at what Haultin did ! Soon I will search for a small size italic by Haultin or Granjon (The latter did so fantastic things in this area).
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,690
    Soon I will search for a small size italic by Haultin or Granjon
    You can find them in Verliet’s French Renaissance Printing Types: A Conspectus. The reproduction quality isn’t great but it’s a lot cheaper than traveling to the relevant museums!
    @James Puckett Thanks a lot for this reference ! On the other hand fortunately I am not so far from Plantin Museum ! And I am sure that our Royal Library in Brussels has a lot of old treasures !
    I forgot : many thanks too to @Juanjo López who provided me helpful material at the first step of this project ! And a very happy new Year to everybody on this forum !
  • Great work, this is beautiful!
    Thank you @Jani Paavola !
  • Wonderful. You maintain a good balancing of all the oddities which make this face look warm and sympathetic.
    (BTW, hyphen ought not to be taken as minus!)

Bonne année! to you all.
    @Andreas Stötzner Thank you so much for your compliment. And of course hyphen should not be used as a minus !
  • ... but it will be. And for endash too. 
    @Craig Eliason Of course you are right : lambda user will do this way. And I consider lambda user too because already when I was a lambda user I was in love with typefaces :-)