A fancy font

Hello TypeDrawers,

I am new on this forum. My name is Johan, I am 19 years old and I'm a student in literature and history. For almost one year now I have been trying to design a font. I have already tried to improve it a lot (I have redrawn the whole font twice) but I believe that there are still many things that don't work, and I feel a bit lost about what I should keep and what must be redesigned. Therefore I would be glad to have your opinions.

As you can see in the proof PDF file, there are two versions of the "e". I have been trying to improve its design lately. The old version is the fully-rounded one.

I thank you all for your precious critiques,

Johan

Comments

• Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
    edited October 2018
    Neat :) It gives me a warm art deco meets prerrafaelitas feeling. The G and g can use a bit of work, the g more so. The end of the tail of the y seems a bit off, I do not see the same droplet shape anywhere else in the font.
    The diacritics match the style, only slightly adjust the horizontal positioning.

Print out a mirror version and you will see inconsistencies yourself. :) Nice first try! Bravo! Can't wait to see wider and bolder versions.
  • "Print out a mirror version and you will see inconsistencies yourself." -- That's very useful advice. Thanks.
  • I liked it, I believe the cartoon surperman would also like,

Neat :) It gives me a warm art deco meets prerrafaelitas feeling. The G and g can use a bit of work, the g more so. The end of the tail of the y seems a bit off, I do not see the same droplet shape anywhere else in the font.
    The diacritics match the style, only slightly adjust the horizontal positioning.

Print out a mirror version and you will see inconsistencies yourself. :) Nice first try! Bravo! Can't wait to see wider and bolder versions.
       Or just print and see inside out

I agree with Vasil Stanev: the / g seem to have a very ‘large head’, /y was done in an incongruous way and the / Y looks a lot like the / V advise you to try to increase the rod width