Illuminated opinion

Hi gang! :)
This is a little something I think about putting on a t-shirt for millenials  B)

Looking for opinions before I smooth the lines in Illustrator. Sorry for their messy quality - I am not that experienced in hand inking. But that's a good thing, because often the design improves from it.

Happy commenting! :)

Comments

• Nathan ZimetNathan Zimet Posts: 76
    edited March 2018
    The upper part of the second L seems a little dark while the leg of the first L might not have enough ornamentation 

also I first read 'opinion' as 'spinach' but that's probably just me
    Overall i think it looks very nice and love how the bird is saying wut :) 
  • Too much detail to work on a T-short. I also had trouble with reading "Opinion." 
  • Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
    edited March 2018
    Nathan Zimet  noted

Bhikkhu Pesala perhaps I should have added that the version for textile would be a single color.
    I have printed on a silk screen 
    carousel and am aware of difficulties with overlaying multiple colors. But have not worked with a textile printer, maybe there are other considerations there.  :#

Andreas Stötzner noted  :)
  • The 'o-n' ligature in opinion is hard to read.

What kind of textile printer? I've worked with a few varieties in my day, but nothing recently. There was one that was exactly like screenprinting, but without the screens. Ink worked the same. Another was a kind of ink jet. Basically like CMYK and there were options for a flash, so you could print on dark materials. That was cool, but slow. Not for real mass production. I'm sure it's all improved by now.
  • Theunis de JongTheunis de Jong Posts: 112
    edited March 2018
    On the original:

I think you should start with a square and divide that into manageable parts first. Looking at "your opinion" (or "your spinach", which I now cannot un-see, thank-you Nathan!), I get the impression that you started off with a wide-spaced "your" but ended up having to cramp "opinion" into a reasonable space.

The "on" ligature at the end does not work very well, it's not a place where one would expect one. If you want one, try the "io" pair instead, so the word still has a natural last character.

On both:

The first large "L" needs a heavier foot, because now it looks like a swash "J". A pointy end at the left bottom instead of that loop might also work. Straighten the left "L" a bit; the contrast with the right "L" is too large, which also makes it difficult to interpret as twice the same character. They don't have to be identical, but I feel there are too many differences.

I like the intricate work inside the characters! The full color image shows it as some celtic-inspired bronze – nicely done, and those colors really work well.
    edited March 2018
  • The relationship between the second L and the ! is awkward. You've established very loose spacing everywhere else, so the narrow gap between the ball terminal of the L and the dot of the ! feels out of place. EPIC feels like an afterthought, since its construction/roots are so different from the illuminated caps.
  • While the lettering looks nice i would like to point out that in regards to current culture and what people might find funny or worth purchasing the term Epic and having Lol on a t-shirt is a little outdated
  • The tail of the large L still looks less detailed than the upper parts. Maybe add some fine structure there as well?

The «joint» of the large L has some rather bumpy curves. The jester (?) in there could use some internal contrast.

The «EPIC» still strikes me as a foreign body. Maybe try lowercase blackletter? Or have some of that orange darkening on the «EPIC» as well. Its monochromaticity is contributing to the impression of being an add-on.

• Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,730
    You could have attempted a ligature between the second L and the exclamation mark. I think that might have worked reasonably well.
    "ace"
  • Bhikkhu PesalaBhikkhu Pesala Posts: 210
    edited May 2019
    Have you thought of producing these designs as a Coloured Font? They make my efforts look amateurish, but it is not too hard to create glyphs with several colours.  Two colours may be sufficient for your designs. 

Have you thought of producing these designs as a Coloured Font?
    No, it did not appear to me.

The whole suite can be seen here:
    https://www.behance.net/gallery/80169233/A-Day-of-Ornaments