Funtauna (rectangular slab serif)

2»

Comments

• Should I make the round corner parts even thinner?
    No, it's good now.
  • @Christian Thalmann The idea with the minus hyphen sounds interesting. I am not yet sure, if I really should neglect the hyphen's use inbetween line breaks (but I probably will, see the picture below). I have also updated the ß.

Yes, Funtauna (=source) is Rumantsch. I chose the name to indicate the intended use of the font. Furthermore, there seems to be an etymological connection to the word "font" (via the latin word "fundere").

(I have not been aware that you are Swiss. I love your typeface Cormorant!)
  • I cannot increase the global roundness, because otherwise letters like h or n would look a bit vertically skewed in small sizes (due to the rectangular join).

Should I make the round corner parts even thinner?
    much better now! (and of course I meant only round letters like o, e, d …)
  • Yeah, I like the rounder 'corners'. 
    What I said about the 'ß', I meant just that the whitespace inside it was much greater than in the other letters. The new one looks better.
  • I have decreased the width of minus, plus, equal, greater, less and have made the hyphen identical to the minus:

Here are some tests with source code:

• It seems to work quite well in short text, but the code gives me a headache. It takes too much effort to parse the individual letters there, for my taste.
  • The punctuation marks could use more weight for coding use, they seem too light and too indistinct all over. In the code samples I find the slanted much nicer to read than the roman, actually; the words just form more easily without the rigid boxy appearance. Personally, I do like the emphasis on baseline and x-height serifs, though.

• @Christian Thalmann Do you think that Funtauna is not suitable for source codes in general?
  • @Christian Thalmann Do you think that Funtauna is not suitable for source codes in general?
    I'm not Christian, but IMHO the answer is positive, it's not suitable for source code. It could work as a display font, though. I can see it used for the cover of an electronic music album, etc.
  • BTW, what's the exact width of each stem in capital M?
    The leftmost stem looks a tiny bit broader than the rightmost one.
    I guess they're mathematically identical?
    You should consider making the left one narrower (an inheritance calligraphy left us).
    There's a chance the diagonal ones in the middle will also enjoy a subtle visual balancing (here it's the right one that should be narrower).
    Note that A,U,V,W,X,Y (did I forget anyone?) could suffer from a similar problem, you should check them.
  • @Ori Ben-Dor
    it's not suitable for source code
    Yes, you and Christian are probably right... (*sigh*)
    I guess they're mathematically identical?
    Yes, the left and the right stem of the M have identical width.
    You should consider making the left one narrower (an inheritance calligraphy left us).
    Well, this is a font with super low contrast. I have just checked a couple of comparable font families and they all had identical stem widths for M (or differing by 1/1000 em, which seems to be a rounding error). I think it is a question of how much one's eye is used to stem dynamics. (Funnily, it reminded me of an older thread, which was initiated by you.) I will have a look at the M (and other comparable glyphs) in a day or two and then decide, if I can feel the urge of a visual balancing, too.

• Yes, you and Christian are probably right... (*sigh*)
    Hey, there's plenty of coding fonts out there already. There's never too many display and short-text fonts, though! :grimace:
  • edited December 2017
    The best long-text fonts have yet to be made...
  • Thanks for the many helpful comments! I have published the font family in the font library:

https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/funtauna#Funtauna-Regular

• Eris AlarEris Alar Posts: 420
    Looks lovely! I adore Algol so am keen to see this one come to market :-D