Too much overshoot?

While in 2017 1 & 7 look shorter than 2 & 0, I'm not so sure about in 010101 and 272727. What do you say? Should I overshoot a little less? (It's a display type, so the size here is within the designated range).

Comments

• Abraham LeeAbraham Lee Posts: 35
    I think it looks fine. If you look at it long enough, then the eyes begin to distinguish the difference in height, but as a quick read-through (like most headers are), the difference is so small that the eye won't notice it. You could always try moving the top/bottom points inwards to see if that helps. General notion is 3%-8% overshoot and it looks like you're pretty close here.
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 1,026
    It's pretty good. Looking at the 010101 sample, I think you might reduce the bottom overshoot of the zero just very slightly, as the 1 looks like it is floating upwards a bit.
  • Ori Ben-DorOri Ben-Dor Posts: 67
    Interesting, I thought the top overshoot was more problematic. I'll play with both. Thank you both!
  • PabloImpallariPabloImpallari Posts: 493
    edited April 21
    Do you have blue-zones defined and/or hintting already?
    Is the sample rendered in mac or pc, photoshop, illustrator or web browsers?
    All those factors affect how the overshoots are displayed, so you may want to test many (or ideally all) of them.
    None of those things, yet. It's just the raw glyphs.
    The sample was rendered directly in the preview panel of FL5 for Windows.
  • PabloImpallariPabloImpallari Posts: 493
    edited April 21
    BTW, in "2017" you zero looks a bit narrow to me, maybe because all the other glyphs have bigger white areas.
    Thanks, I'll play with the width too.
  • Georg SeifertGeorg Seifert Posts: 431
    We had a similar discussion in another thread. And there we found that the size you are looking at changes the perception of the overshot quite a bit. 
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 923
    The counter size of the zero is much affected by the sidebearings. A tighter fit would make the zero look less objectionable but then you compound the problem with the seven and the one.