What are your thoughts or experiences with selling early versions of your fonts?
I've been working on a typeface again after a 10 year hiatus from my type design hobby, and it's far enough along now that I'm beginning to think about how and when to publish it. I'm a software engineer by trade so releasing beta versions of a project or versions with limited feature sets, and then iterating on them and releasing future updates feels very natural to me. And what they're doing on e.g. Future Fonts seems very interesting and familiar in that regard.
However, I've also seen fair number of comments here and elsewhere where type designers have regretted releasing a font too early, and that pre-release versions have a tendency to leak and be distributed on sketchy sites forever, with whatever bugs, errors, or issues those early versions might contain.
If you have used an iterative approach and released multiple versions of a font, how did you decide where to stop for the initial version, and what did you include in subsequent releases?