Interminable neon

From the cover of a truly horrible 1973 record album by Christopher Scott. (The title piggy-backs Wendy Carlos’ epochal 1968 Switched on Bach, which programmed Bach on the Moog synthesizer, becoming a million-seller. Burt Bacharach composed many pop hits in the sixties.)

I assume this is based on a typeface, but I don’t know which; a bit like ITC Neon.

The “ligaturing” is quite interesting!

Comments

• In my opinion, someone started with "S" from ITC Neon and let imagination run wild...

• Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,167
    I think it was all hand lettered from the get-go.  We did this all the time then.  Frankly, this is not that well done.  The "W" is the least acceptable.

• Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,160
    Seems like it was probably drawn from scratch with a heavy toke.

(Incidentally, Switched on Bach was performed, not programmed. No computers or sequencers involved.)
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 1,449
    Sorry, the wrong word. But it wasn’t played live, as “performance” would suggest, but pieced together a few notes at a time, as I understand.
  • Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 925
    I think this could be done with ligatures and a system of top and bottom entry strokes. I had this on 8-track...so terrible. The instrumentation was okay but the lead parts were played completely soulless. Walk on By sticks in my mind as being particularly awful.
  • I'm pretty sure it's not inspired by neon but rather electric stovetop elements.
  • Adam JagoszAdam Jagosz Posts: 398
    The "W" is the least acceptable.
    The /E is worse!
  • John SavardJohn Savard Posts: 467
    edited 4:47PM
    Sorry, the wrong word. But it wasn’t played live, as “performance” would suggest, but pieced together a few notes at a time, as I understand.
    The Moog synthesizer that Wendy Carlos used was monophonic, so each part had to be separately recorded, but despite a joke in the liner notes about a lot of splicing being required, the individual parts were played in the conventional musical sense.
    So basically it would have been one track at a time - not one selection on the album, but one track on a multi-track recorder - not a few notes at a time.