So disappointed in UFO Stretch

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• I haven't used it for a while, but I don't remember having a problem with italics.
    Maybe drop @typemytype a line?

Cheers,
    Artur
  • I've mostly used in on uprights, but did use it on an italic project a few months ago. The results were a bit less good than the roman, but I was only using UFOstretch to rough in proportions for a display version. That's how I mostly have used the tool, as a way to get a reasonably clean scaled and interpolated rough with independent X and Y control (the latter being the big benefit over RMX Scaler).

The problem I regularly have with UFOstretch is that the UI seems to have a problem with fonts with a >1000 unit em.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MY problem is that it will not even recognize Italic Font data. Nothing populates the interface when selecting Italic data.
    I wouldn't know what causes that. I think if it worked with your ufo's containing romans, it should not be any different with ufo's containing italics.
  • Do your italics lack points at the x-extrema? Anything else other than having an italic angle entry that might differentiate the italic, at a technical level?
    (Just wondering what might trigger the problem.)
  • I remember having a problem a while back with UFO's exported by Glyphs showing up 'empty' in Superpolator. Adding a custom property entry in the master fixed this. (can't remember what the entry was though.) 

Is there any difference between how you created the ufo's for roman and italic?
  • Might it be better to submit a bug report and try figure out what exactly makes this fail rather than publicly sharing your contempt for the app altogether?
  • I've never had a problem with italic data working any differently than roman. The biggest problem with UFO Stretch is the lag it can really slow to a crawl depending on what you're doing.
  • Did you confirm that the italic data out of FL VI is properly conformed? Seems unlikely, but possible, that something about what was written by FL got translated idiosyncratically. 
  • Best results with FL5 + UFOcentral. I never had a problem with italics.
  • This might be related - maybe not.
    (Because maybe UFOStretch uses similar Python Libraries or pens etc.):

I had problems when using Italic shapes (of serif font) with Mutator Scale.
    https://github.com/loicsander/MutatorScale
    MutatorScale uses/needs reference Glyphs for measuring stroke weights.
    (also glyph "H" for example)

So in my case it helped to remove the overlaps of glyph H.
    (when constructed out of 3 shapes for examples: a horizontal Stroke and two vertical strokes)

Maybe this helps with UFOStretch as well.
  • Michael JarboeMichael Jarboe Posts: 265
    edited September 2018
    Could you try creating a new italic file that is stripped down to just a particular amount of glyphs and data? I suggest that because back in the day I'd occassionally have problems in FontLab, so I'd start a new file and systematically transfer the glyphs and data to the new file until I reached a point in which the problem was reproduced, and I could then identify or address it, or at times I believe it went away entirely. On further thought, I faintly recall having corruption-like issues in with files due to random (near invisible) floating points, that I'm usually very careful to avoid.

Lately I have the feeling that some of these software issues are idiosyncratic amongst us. For example, with Robofont whenever I edit Font Info it leads to the app crashing and it is a consistent and reproducible problem (imagine the joy of editing Font Info across a 20 style font family!). I submitted a bug and then replied to a request to submit a log file and never received an answer. I can only imagine if this was a consistent problem among other users it either would've been resolved by now or no one would use the application.
  • What's you other solution? Always interested to know about other ways of doing things.
  • It works fine for me.
  • Since I use FontForge on Windows (and not directly with UFO data), I coded up my own version of this functionality, which *does* account for the italic data. It can be run via command line or as part of a library, but I haven’t gotten around to creating a GUI for it.
  • Maybe drop @typemytype a line?

So was @typemytype able to help you, @James%20Montalbano?
  • RMX tools don't enable independent x and y interpolation, right?