My First Font: SILE Sans
Comments
-
This is an attitude that I think is most healthy to hold in the current industry. Even if we assume the ‘infill-ism’ to be true, there is still the matter of whether the existing bricks in the wall are any good. If they live up to their intentions, their potential, whether they held up a gold standard for technology in days gone by. Perhaps, as Stephen King so often says, ‘the world had moved on’. We still make movies according to the hero’s journey story structure, and I appreciate when the story breaks with that, but at the same time I also enjoy it when it is done well.Hrant H. Papazian said:[…] if you intend to make a real cultural contribution, and you don't assume that precedents are necessarily well-conceived, freely look at everything.
3 -
Was it in reference to Chambord/Touraine [...] or Banco?
Hrant – I couldn’t say. In my mind, this anecdote blends with many other Mike Parker stories (though I couldn’t *swear* I actually heard it from Mike). I never attempted to track down any other source or otherwise determine whether the account was apocryphal. If I think of it, at some point I might see if Matthew can shed any light on this one.
0
Categories
- All Categories
- 47 Introductions
- 4K Typeface Design
- 497 Type Design Critiques
- 590 Type Design Software
- 1.1K Type Design Technique & Theory
- 674 Type Business
- 904 Font Technology
- 29 Punchcutting
- 543 Typography
- 128 Type Education
- 333 Type History
- 82 Type Resources
- 114 Lettering and Calligraphy
- 33 Lettering Critiques
- 81 Lettering Technique & Theory
- 577 Announcements
- 101 Events
- 116 Job Postings
- 174 Type Releases
- 185 Miscellaneous News
- 270 About TypeDrawers
- 54 TypeDrawers Announcements
- 114 Suggestions and Bug Reports

