Thomas Phinney leaving FontLab

So, I am leaving FontLab so I can take on more detective work, and do some other fun things.
(Suggestions for other fun things welcome.)
https://www.thomasphinney.com/2019/04/career-change/

Comments

• Ramiro EspinozaRamiro Espinoza Posts: 839
    edited April 2019
    All the best with your new projects!
  • Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,651
    Congrats, Thomas! I wish you well in your new endeavors.
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    Maybe you will get that TV series on CBS ;-)
  • Congrats! All the best in being a full-time CSI!
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,720
    Thanks, all! It has been an exciting time lately. This week I got my first questioned document in Greek!
  • Wow, bad news for FontLab! :-(  But judging from recent developments you seem to be leaving with their ducks in a row, so thank you.

As for your detective work, that's a cool niche-within-a-niche! Good luck.
  • AbrahamLeeAbrahamLee Posts: 262
    Whoa! That sounds exciting! Best wishes and don’t be a stranger around here.
  • One of the few people from the FontLab team who communicates with the audience  :'(
  • John SavardJohn Savard Posts: 1,086
    Wow, bad news for FontLab! :-(  But judging from recent developments you seem to be leaving with their ducks in a row, so thank you.
    Here's something from Hrant that I totally agree with!
    It certainly is my belief that I am leaving at a “good time.”

FontLab VI has come out and had plenty of dot releases, pretty stable now. We've had some OS compatibility updates to a bunch of other apps. Various process improvements have had time to sink in. Etcetera. The stars are right!
  • Kent LewKent Lew Posts: 905
    Sounds like the time is ripe. I applaud the move, Thomas. Best of luck!
    (I assume we’ll still be seeing you around, virtually and at conferences. ;-)
    Kent Lew said:
    (I assume we’ll still be seeing you around, virtually and at conferences. ;-)

I may not continue to attend quite as many type conferences as in days gone by—partly because I also need to get to forensics conferences—but yes, I expect to make it to a notable chunk of type conferences.

And I am sure I will continue to have a robust online presence.  ;)
  • I hope Fontlab will find somebody as involved that Thomas was to replace him. Thank for all the good work you've done over the pass year.
  • Kent LewKent Lew Posts: 905
    edited April 2019
    I may not continue to attend quite as many type conferences as in days gone by
    As long as we manage to attend that same conferences . . . ;-)
    (That said, I actually expect to miss all of this year’s conferences myself, due to a non-type project that will likely occupy nearly all of my time the rest of this year.)
  • Thank you for all of your hard work over at FontLab @Thomas Phinney
     -- wishing you lots of continued success in forensics, and fun in everything else that fills your calendar this year!
  • Paul MillerPaul Miller Posts: 273
    Best of luck with the sleuthing.  Should we be calling you 'Thomas Sherlock Phinney' ?  :)
    Money isn't everything, being happy in your work is just as valuable.
  • Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    The hardest part of forensic work is having to work with extremely attractive coworkers in poorly lit offices lit by dramatic orange and blue lights. But at least you'll get to work with computers that let you dramatically enhance even the blurriest of photographs.
  • That's true — you can zoom in on that newspaper the shady guy two blocks from the cheap security camera is reading and see what font the body text is in!
    “enhance”!