Liccensing fonts for product design

hello all!
I wonder if you can advice me, maybe you have had such an experience before. An interior design company has asked me for the quote of licensing one or some of my existing fonts. They want to produce wood letters and sell them individually, or compose names with a script font. Obviously they can not get the single license, but which one will be fine?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    Not to disagree with your pricing James, but material, size, fixtures and production do constitute some of the value. Never mind the quality, feel the width, as they used to say in the schmutter trade (and perhaps still do).
  • Thanks James and Nick, so then, let's say that a good price for this can be the half of the enterprise, that's for one single font. It's the equivalent to more that +1000 users. l have been thinking that considering factors as non-exclusitity and limited duration are important and can also reduce the fee. What do you think?

Thanks a lot for your help!
  • Georg SeifertGeorg Seifert Posts: 669
    edited March 2014
    Just a random thought. What is the difference between someone printing a letter on a poster and someone that cuts the letter out of wood?
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    It's the difference between using a typeface, i.e. setting text, and making a derivative product of the typeface design.
  • So, if I typeset the ampersand from Font X on a piece of paper, cut it out, slather some glue on the back, and sell it as a sticker, I am making a derivative product?
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    So, if I typeset the ampersand from Font X on a piece of paper, cut it out, slather some glue on the back, and sell it as a sticker, I am making a derivative product?
    Yes.
  • Well then, someone stands to make a lot of money suing every single major font studio, pop-up books publisher, sign maker, and pretty much every router and/or 3D printer user out there.
  • Stephen ColesStephen Coles Posts: 994
    edited March 2014
    Patrick, it's not about the physical attributes of the pr0duct, it's the fact that the core value of the resold product is the design of the letter/type itself.
  • Oh, I understand what's being said here, and I'm not disagreeing. I just think it's quite academic, though. Not to mention very confusing to font users, and pretty much unenforceable.

The derivation from a single letter/shape idea is very understandable, but logically that same idea extends to multiple letter shapes used together (like a font is normally used) — hence my pop-up books, film props and signs comment. Trying to enforce special licensing conditions for each of these uses via EULA would alienate most users I know.
  • To alienate users?