Fonts not printing in QXpress, fsType set to »Editable embedding«

Hi everyone,

have you had negative printing experience in Quark Xpress with OTF fonts (generated with Glyphs)?
A client can't print my fonts, although fsType is set to »Editable embedding« (0x0008), which I find the most useful setting despite that fact that this is the default in Glyphs.
I have no QXpress to try.

His details:
Mac OSX 10.6.8
QuarkXPress 8.5.1
OKI Laserprinter C9650
Fonts installed via FontExplorer X Pro 3.1.1.

Thanks a lot!
Tagged:

Comments

• Georg SeifertGeorg Seifert Posts: 669
    edited January 2014
    This seems to be an old problem. The makeOTF help page states this:
    -dcs Set OS/2.DefaultChar to the Unicode value for 'space', rather than '.notdef. The latter is correct by the OT spec, but QuarkXPress 6.5 requires the former in order to print OTF/CFF fonts.
    So you need to set the option '-dcs' to make nonstandard Fonts. I never had that problem with the one client that still uses Quark.
  • You'd think Quark would have fixed this between 6.5 and 8.5.1.
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    edited January 2014
    You'd think Quark would have fixed this between 6.5 and 8.5.1.
    Why? They can just keep pooping out bad software and leave it to type designers to fix this stuff. For some reason type designers are always the ones expected to address the problems caused by bad programming.
  • They still use the wrong name table entries (id 1 and 2) to group families in the menu. So much about fixing old bugs.
  • Has anyone filed an official bug report with Quark yet?
  • > Has anyone filed an official bug report with Quark yet?

Somebody would have to first verify that there is an issue in the current version. We were talking about 8.51, but QuarkXPress 10 is out.

Quark is mostly off my radar these days due to ever-diminishing market share.
  • kupferskupfers Posts: 259
    edited January 2014
    If anyone wants me to try anything, I have Xpress 6.5, 8, and 9 (and 10.6.8 and 10.8.5).
  • yanoneyanone Posts: 128
    I compiled the fonts with Georg's hint (-dcs option for makeotf) but client says it still won't print. He'll switch to Indesign for printing this typeface.