Font Aid VII: The Philippines

Help create a collaborative typeface for Typhoon Haiyan relief.

The Society of Typographic Aficionados (SOTA) is organizing Font Aid VII — a project uniting the typographic and design communities to raise funds for Philippine Red Cross relief efforts after the events of Typhoon Haiyan. The project will create a typeface consisting of images based on the eight-rayed sun from the Philippine flag.

The deadline for submissions is December 1st, 2013

See the submission guidelines for project details.

Thanks in advance for your participation and support.

Comments

• Brock FrenchBrock French Posts: 12
    edited November 2013
    Do both.
    "Worth it"
  • Great idea!
    I just sent in my submission and a check to the Red Cross relief effort.
  • I would like to know the same – publicating at least some basic figures on how much funds were raised (minus any costs associated before giving the money to the RC) would be much appreciated.
  • edited November 2013
    I'm also curious if the distributors (myfonts, fontshop, etc?) are forgoing their commission so SOTA can donate 100% of the sales.
  • Sorry for the delay in replying, Jackson. For some reason, I haven‘t been seeing notifications on my threads here.

My initial answer would be to echo Brock and say “Do both.”

Although I don’t have the exact numbers in front of me, I can confidently say that the last three Font Aid projects (ones that I have been directly involved with) have generated several thousands of dollars per project. We will be publishing details regarding the funds raised by Font Aid over the past several years on the background page.

And yes, distributors have always waived their commission on the sale of the Font Aid typefaces. Going forward, SOTA will be selling the typefaces directly as well.

http://www.typesociety.org/store/
  • Thanks, Grant.