Options

Affinity 2.0

2»

Comments

• Options
    Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,754
    Given what I've read here about Canva - it charges by the fonts you use with it, so you can only buy fonts through them - ...

You may license fonts through them, but you can also upload “your own” fonts to use with it.

However, using your own fonts requires you have a paid “Canva Pro” subscription (currently $120/year for one person).
  • Options
    John SavardJohn Savard Posts: 1,091
    edited March 27
    TechSpot actually had an article about this:
    and the view it presents is that this will be a positive development, since now Affinity will have the resources it needs to take on Adobe thanks to joining forces with Canva. So there is a possibility of hope for the best. Which would be good, as my cursory web search implied there are few other good alternatives - either for desktop publishing, for bitmap image editors, or for the Corel Draw! functionality of Adobe Illustrator.
    Of course, though, for the kinds of diagrams I make for my web page, even if I sometimes use Photoshop substitutes, I needed to use Microsoft Paint. Recent updates spoiled it, but there's a workalike called Paint XP (unfortunately, version 5.0 is jammed with ads, so I am stuck with version 4; also, it has a bug that mixes up blue and black) because I need copy and paste with transparent color. So for me, even Photoshop isn't an acceptable pixel paint program. (Paint XP plus Irfan View provide most of the functionality I need, although a true pixel paint program is nice to have.)
    At present, I don't use desktop publishing or vector editing software, so I'm not really too familiar, and can only go by what I read.
  • Options
    AbiRasheedAbiRasheed Posts: 238
    edited March 27
    TechSpot actually had an article about this:
    and the view it presents is that this will be a positive development, since now Affinity will have the resources it needs to take on Adobe thanks to joining forces with Canva. So there is a possibility of hope for the best. 
    To think this is a force to take on Adobe is hilarious.  People said that when affinity started to develop on its own years ago just around the time the Adobe subscription model came into play and yet nothing came of it because it just didn't have enough umpf to be comparable to Adobe. Personally with my experience with vector editing applications, Affinity's vector suite was no match for Adobe illustrator back then and even now. What we see here is affinity selling what is profitable before it becomes unprofitable and calling it a day. Anything else should be taken with a grain of salt. People think Affinity is doing it for the consumers, no. They do it to make a profit and some one noticed it (canva!) and so goes the choo choo train. For all you folks hooked onto subscription models I don't know what to tell you but this Canva/Affinity merge is going to be the same, be prepared.

On a different note with this news of Affinity, lot of freebie design software are starting to popup on reddit and what not claiming to be free, looking out for the masses with no committment clauses. None of it is true. They're all just merely milking the situation. Seen this so many times. Just about the only true folks who stick to their guns and tell you its free are the opensource folks like Inkscape and so on but then again we know the limitations of their software.