Comments

• Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    I watched it for 50 seconds.
  • I’d like to think they are typographically sound.

The whole time I was watching this I could only think about how awkward the balance would be on a lightsaber.
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    I could only think about how awkward the balance would be on a lightsaber.
    Not necessarily. Presumably the 'blade' doesn't need weight in order to be an effective cutting tool, since it is using some form of intense energy. I have a couple of Italian duelling sabres with very light blades and weighted pommels, and I presume a light sabre would have a similar balance. This does mean, however, that all the fighting in the films where the lightsabre is treated as if it were a mediaeval long sword is nonsense. It would make more sense for most of the motion to be in the wrist, and the action to be at least as fast as an Olympic sabre bout. Of course, that would mean that the audience wouldn't actually see anything other than a blur of light and somebody cut in half.
  • Cut and paste.
  • That makes sense. I suppose I was only thinking about it from the way in which it was used here.

Or maybe its balance is because of “the force”.
  • the way in which it was used here.
    This is just a pretend version of the pretend version, so it's not easy to know how many hands or what kind of force would be required to handle actual plasma fields, though Franklin tried.
  • If a pretend lightsaber is activated and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
  • I was disappointed that his arms didn't fall off after some of those strikes.
  • Also, when I saw the "poster" frame, I thought it was Nick Sherman.
  • kupferskupfers Posts: 259
    Thanks. Great inspiration for the “Typographic Chinese Whisper” project I do with Typeradio and t]m in the coming weeks, translating fonts into sound and back into fonts.
  • Inspirationally, I'm glad this is a positive. But I was thinkin' when we were kids, we were the fonts. Unless you threw 'em at a sibling, toys didn't make much noise, so our imaginations learned to make the sounds we all knew would sever an arm or two.
  • All that spittle is now deemed unhygienic.