Options

Creative Market: "A new era of font creation"

Does the Creative Market redistribution agreement allow them to train ai models on those fonts?

Comments

• Options
    James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,971
    edited August 2023
    I’m sure they won’t take advantage of that part in the contract that allows them to create derivative works.
  • Options
    Dave, how did you come across this? Was it mentioned in a Creative Market email?
  • Options
    @Tiffany Wardle It’s at fonts.ai
  • Options
    @James Hultquist-Todd I see that. But I'm only curious about how Dave came across it. I'm ok to admit I'm behind on my font news and doing my best to catch up. 
  • Options
    Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,148
    Unless the names of typefaces such as “Gotham” are prohibited in prompts, the Butterick law suit will be pertinent.
  • Options
    Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,379
    Interesting. This seems like the perfect year for me to throw in the towel.
  • Options
    Whatever font they choose for the ad, whether a human or an AI designed it, looks hideous. They lead with that?!
  • Options
    that font is designed by a human
    but I do look forward to the 2028 graphic design trend of ironically using shitty AI fonts from 2024
  • Options
    Hey now. I think that's why some people don't come around these parts.
  • Options
    oh, if it was unclear, I was not referring to the font in use (I enjoy a renner-y abstract sans!)
  • Options
    Here we go.
  • Options
    Delve WithringtonDelve Withrington Posts: 16
    edited August 2023
    @Tiffany Wardle Not sure where @Dave Crossland came across this and I don't know if I was the first to post about it but I may be responsible.: https://typo.social/@delve/110748183967783935
  • Options
    @jeremy tribby I was referring to John’s comment. I understood that you were speaking in general terms.
  • Options
    Thanks, @Delve Withrington I hadn't seen your post over there.
  • Options
    You know, Tiffany, I agree, I shouldn’t have posted it. De gustibus and all that. It was not a helpful comment, and I apologize. I do dig some of its designer’s other designs.

I’d have liked to remove my comment, but this forum is set up to prohibit “rewriting history,” so I guess that’s that.
  • Options
    I’d have liked to remove my comment...
    I think you were actually right.

• Options
    I am interested in the part about CM rights to train their model with our fonts on their current site. Here are their TOS (point 2—License grant):

https://creativemarket.com/terms/shops

I can't remember signing any new contract recently (last few years) with them and searching my mail, I found just a plain TOS update message from September 2022. 
  • Options
    John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,979
    edited August 2023
    Business operating a terms of service model tend to use contracts that allow them to make unilateral changes to the terms of service, in which case the only recourse if you don’t like the changes may be to stop using the service.
  • Options
    This discussion is predicated on the idea that fonts.ai will eventually produce something other than marketing copy. "Stay tuned for updates" (particularly in the ML space) means "we haven't got this working yet".
  • Options
    Igor PetrovicIgor Petrovic Posts: 263
    edited August 2023
    If CM's almost silent unilateral change of TOS gives them rights to train AI with all the fonts from all shops, then good luck to them. Since then a free AI font generator will surely emerge, with who knows what base and TOS (Google). 

Not to mention that piracy will evolve with AI more than anything else, because it will become almost untrackable. You won't be able to judge by the used font which generator it came from. Current piracy is almost untrackable, imagine a self-generating one.
  • Options
    Vasily DraigoVasily Draigo Posts: 46
    edited August 2023
    Not to mention that piracy will evolve with AI more than anything else, because it will become almost untrackable. You won't be able to judge by the used font which generator it came from. Current piracy is almost untrackable, imagine a self-generating one.
    But AI can also help track font piracy.

• Options
    Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,401

Maybe, maybe not.
  • Options

Maybe, maybe not.
    We're only in the early stages of AI evolution. 
  • Options
    A colleague inside G sent me the link. 
  • Options
    As long as there are investors buying type libraries as an asset, I am sure that AI has not yet conquered type design.
  • Options
    I can’t help but wonder who they think fonts.ai is for. prototypo shut down after ten years not because it didn't work well or wasn't interesting new tech, but because it never found users
  • Options
    My guess is fonts.ai is to show potential investors that they shouldn't be left off the AI hype train.