Somehow?

Mr. Hudson has started this "we've somehow made font making a primary activity and text design secondary."

Not text design... TYPOGRAPHY!

Now I wonder how that happened. How did we end up with a useless barking font wrapper, and no metadata. . .

Could it happen again? You can bet on it. Over and over it will now happen. I have confirmed this with Adam, and group leader.

No way out now buddy, except privately.

Comments

• Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    I read this over a dozen times and was unable to decrypt. Hints?
  • What David says makes sense to an extent although identifying "Group Leader" would be a big step towards clarity.
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    Typography is not just font selection. It is a craft or art of its own. Have we lost enough control with web typography that true typography has been replaced by copy fitting?
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    edited October 2013
    My Twitter comment with which David starts this thread was in response to a specific question from Cyrus Highsmith's ATypI presentation, tweeted by Mark Barratt. It was specifically a question about type education:
    Why, as general typographic education is in decline, is type design so popular?
    Not only is David dragging my comment out of all context, he also didn't bother to include the concluding bit: 'Roughly the opposite of history.' Which is really the main point I was making: that font making now exists as a primary activity independent of serving text design. And I deliberately used the term text design and not typography, because text design is an activity that predates type and which involves non-typographic solutions long after the introduction of Gutenberg.* Viewing text design only in the context of typography is also 'roughly the opposite of history'.
    _____

* There are numerous good examples of font making serving non-typographic text design, especially in the 17th and 18th Centuries, in which the style and arrangement of text is driven by scribes and engravers, and in which type has a marginal and supporting role.
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    edited October 2013
    How did we end up with a useless barking font wrapper, and no metadata. . .
    Go ask Erik and Tal. I believe you're currently in the same conference hotel.
  • Phew. What a relief, I thought my drink caught up with me.
  • John: "It was specifically a question about type education:"
    Mark's out of context tweet? quoted a rhetorical question, stated at the end of the introduction to a 30 minute dual presentation, the title of which is published. The question, in context, was about the relationship of type education to all the font drawing so many people want to do, educationally or not, relative to the main point of the presentation, being, as I said, typography. I'm not trying to straighten out anything else, now, except this century, (the 21st).

• Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    Why, as general typographic education is in decline, is type design so popular?
    The lure of passive income?
  • David Berlow wrote,
    How did we end up with a useless barking font wrapper, and no metadata. . .
    WOFF has an arbtirary metadata store?
  • Among other things, that is "too late" for print.
  • David Berlow, who is group leader?

Why not use WOFF for print?
  • Just when I thought TD was getting all wound up over the 'serious' conversations, this happens. Yes, most /all of it is over my head, but it has made me smile. Thanks all involved.
  • EDIT: oops - this is from months ago! hahaha sorry I missed it then!
  • Deleted AccountDeleted Account Posts: 739
    edited December 2013
    Dave:

It could more efficient if you gathered up your questions, sent them to one of our consultants, then maybe they will weed through them, perhaps do an interview of me, where these questions could be asked, and possibly answered.