Numbers Feedback

I started doing my numbers. Feedback appreciated. 

Comments

• Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,732
    Seems like maybe you need a tad more overshoot, in the numbers and maybe just generally?

The middle horizontal of the 5 being perfectly straight and then eventually curving, is not working for me. At a minimum the middle straight should start curving no later than the mid-point of the bottom, I imagine? Just feels very static. I think there are reasons for the conventional approach to this

Similarly the equivalent spot in the 3 feels very forced, might do better if it just doesn’t try starting out horizontal at all, but has a slight downward curve.
  • Seems like maybe you need a tad more overshoot, in the numbers and maybe just generally?

The middle horizontal of the 5 being perfectly straight and then eventually curving, is not working for me. At a minimum the middle straight should start curving no later than the mid-point of the bottom, I imagine? Just feels very static. I think there are reasons for the conventional approach to this

Similarly the equivalent spot in the 3 feels very forced, might do better if it just doesn’t try starting out horizontal at all, but has a slight downward curve.

I have changed number 3 and 5. I have also made areas between terminal and spine of 6 and 9 more open. 
  • Linus RomerLinus Romer Posts: 185
    edited March 2023
    If your typeface is supposed to be used for science or business as well:
    It seems like you would not consider tabular figures having a place in your typeface. But I would suggest to start with the tabular figures. Then begin with your /0 as a basis (which looks okay - maybe one could add a bit more superness to make it more distinct from a condensed /O). To achieve acceptable tabular figures I would make the roof of the /1 wider, the /2 and the /3 slightly narrower, expand the bar of the /4 to the right a bit, make the /7 a bit narrower, lower the waist of the /8. In the end you can adjust your tabular figures to proportional figures as well.