Type testing site

Does anyone know where the type testing site for kerning pairs in a few different languages is located?
It used to be here: https://www.musictypefoundry.com/text-font-testing/ and the same thing was also on another site.
Thanks.

Comments

• Hi Nick, I think this might be the one:

• That's the one! Many thanks Paulo.
  • Hi Nick

The source files are here:
    https://github.com/impallari/Font-Testing-Page

If you want to use it in your own web hosting, it's super easy!
    Just upload it into any folder, and thats it! Not configuration required.
  • Hi Pablo. Thanks. Are you going to Paris?
  • Who knows... maybe
  • Thanks Justing!
    Btw: Does anyone has free hosting for me? hahaha  o:)
  • Thanks to you all for these useful links (and work!)
  • There is one new link with an updated Cyrillic kern section.
  • Thanks Justing!
    Btw: Does anyone has free hosting for me? hahaha  o:)
    There are many companies these days that will host static websites for free. I use Netlify because it integrates nicely with Github. Whenever I update the source repo for my site, Netlify pulls the update and runs a build command to update the live site. Some other free options I looked at include Render, Cloudflare, Vercel, and Github Pages.
  • It should just be transformed into e.g. a Jekyll site that is forever-hosted on github pages :)
  • But the original had PHP code. @Lasse Fister made one with only js
  • Haven't but glanced at the source code, but since the site states it does the preview in the browser I imagine the PHP is just for easier page templating of the various script pages. Jekyll can do the same statically and hosted for free on github, in the same spot that content additions could be submitted.

Do you mean Lasse's specimen generator, or a clone of Pablo's site? Link? :smile:
  • Lasse FisterLasse Fister Posts: 8
    edited January 2023
    Do you mean Lasse's specimen generator, or a clone of Pablo's site? Link? :smile:

@Johannes Neumeier I'm afraid both. It grew some years ago in a branch when I had some time at my hand. That branch also did another thing, local live updates when fonts change on disk with websockets. https://github.com/graphicore/specimenTools/tree/live_specimen I just tried to run it but the project organization is outdated/not good and I don't remember how. Thus for now we can look at the changes in that branch. https://github.com/graphicore/specimenTools/compare/master...live_specimen

Especially the last commit in there:

I remember I used Mustache.js and then something similar to recreate some of the more complex original testing pages but wasn't too happy with it overall. There are not pushed commits on some out of order laptop of mine ...
    If there's interest I will find it.

UPDATE: There's a way to get it running. But all in all it would be a day or two to create a current state up-to-date and accessible evaluation version. Then another week or two to bring it into a form that could be developed further. This would likely be a hard fork from the specimenTools, or at least a new version that is not backwards compatible. I'd hard-copy all bower dependencies and remove requirejs in favor of Javascript-Modules.

Get it running:

$ git clone git@github.com:graphicore/specimenTools.git
    $ cd specimenTools
    $ git checkout live_specimen
    $ npm install bower
    $ node_modules/bower/bin/bower install
    $ ln -s text lib/bower_components/requirejs-text
    $ cd util/changes_server
    $ npm install
    $ cd ../..
    $ node util/changes_server/server.js  examples/live/ assets/fonts/

If you feel adventurous you can play around with util/samples_switcher/samples_switcher

• Haven't but glanced at the source code, but since the site states it does the preview in the browser I imagine the PHP is just for easier page templating of the various script pages. Jekyll can do the same statically and hosted for free on github, in the same spot that content additions could be submitted.

Its mostly html css  and Js. Php is only used for the "Tools" section
    Php is easy for me, so I can changes or implements new tools in seconds.

Other thin I do is to REJECT a loooooot of suggestion of new content...
    Part of the Charm of the tool is that is FUN to use...
    To keep it fun, it needs to be fast and easy. And if I had accepted every suggestion it wouldn't be fast any more.. since no one want to check 200 taps of content.
    Keep that in mind whoever will be in charge of maintaining the port.