Options

Art deco proportions for Þ Ł Ð

Hi, I come up with a new type design dilema. In a typeface with “art deco” proportions, where the crossbar of H is high and upper bowls of letters like R and B are small, where would you place the bar for letters like Ł and Ð? And what happens with the capital Eszett and the bowl of Þ?

I haven’t found any good example of this. 

Comments

• Options
    Hi María, this is a question I also faced when designing an art deco inspired typeface for text typesetting. It's still a WIP but I found the answer to your question depends on your typeface's intended environment (text typesetting, display?), with the latter having the ability to push the crossbars higher and lower. 

One thing word noting is if you plan on designing a Cyrillic with the same proportions 'art deco' you've established in a Latin, you may run into troubles with bowled Cyrillic capitals, especially in heavier weights when some elements have bowls and horizontal strokes.

• Options
    Follow the guidance of your feeling and of the rhythmic logic of your design.
    Just as an example: Arthur Sans.

• Options
    I guess there are different approaches to this. Art Noveau designer C. R. Mackintosh used different formulas for his double bar H.

• Options
    K PeaseK Pease Posts: 182
    A thing I am sure I have heard before, and is demonstrated by the Arthur Sans example, is that Ð should ideally match the crossbar of E, wherever it is. But this is not likely to be applicable to any of your other questions.