Options

Need help with hinting in Microsoft Visual TrueType

How to make a stroke thinner for certain sizes without affecting strokes of all sizes or how to choose the right stroke thickness. How to make it be like in Courier New. 
And in general, how to choose the right values for other fonts.

And I would also like to know about working with deltas in VTT.

I saw how the curves changed with the delta, how to do it?

Sorry for the bad wording, power can go out at any time.
There is a possibility that there may be no electricity for weeks or even months, this morning there was again shelling on the energy infrastructure, this is very serious right now, so I would like to close the topic of hinting for myself so that there are no global questions. 

Comments

• Options
    Have you seen https://googlefonts.github.io/how-to-hint-variable-fonts/ ? If you need to clone it for offline access, you can download a zip file of the repository at  Download ZIP 
  • Options
    The help file in VTT might be useful. If this is a Variable font, you cant use Deltas, (only global deltas to adjust heights can be used, and not local deltas, as this will not work across the variable design space. If it is a static font you can use Deltas. I could try and help if you can send me a file with some specific requests, perhaps a bit more in detail than your descriptions above? I will send you a message with my email. Hinting stems to full pixels really works best for older GDI rendering, so if you do not care about that, then perhaps a Hinting approach as described in the document Simon referenced would be better. 
  • Options
    Have you seen https://googlefonts.github.io/how-to-hint-variable-fonts/ ? If you need to clone it for offline access, you can download a zip file of the repository at  Download ZIP 
    Yes, thanks, I saw this guide, but I need per-pixel hinting for static fonts like Arial, Courier New, Verdana, Georgia, Times New Roman, Segoe UI and others. Or, for example, how the font on Twitter is now.
  • Options
    The help file in VTT might be useful. If this is a Variable font, you cant use Deltas, (only global deltas to adjust heights can be used, and not local deltas, as this will not work across the variable design space. If it is a static font you can use Deltas. I could try and help if you can send me a file with some specific requests, perhaps a bit more in detail than your descriptions above? I will send you a message with my email. Hinting stems to full pixels really works best for older GDI rendering, so if you do not care about that, then perhaps a Hinting approach as described in the document Simon referenced would be better. 
    Thanks for your reply, I emailed you.
  • Options
    @Mike Duggan Helped me a lot with font hinting in VTT, this is a very big leap forward for me, thanks a lot! It's always nice to learn something you need from professionals.
  • Options
    thanks Vasily, hopefully you can get the results you want!