Tilted font

Hello,
I'm designing a new font, tilted (by the wind), so not exactly italic, variable font, named "Westwind" (for evident reasons).

I consulted the encyclopedic knowledge of Luc Devroye to know if there was ever an example of this style of font.
The answer was "no" by his experience.

I created an axis "Curved". Here is an example of the 2 masters:

The font is still in development, not interpolated nor kerned.

I'm questioning your knowledge to know if you ever met such a tilted font. I didn't find one.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Cool concept! How do you create the effect? Have you tried with different kinds of typefaces? I think it might be extra cool if the wind has a stronger effect on the end of a word/sentence then the beginning, but not sure how to do that with variable fonts. Could also be great for animation, e.g. text being blown in and out of the screen. Curious to see where this goes!
  • I have seen wind-blown type examples but am not sure if they were a live font or outline editing of an existing font.
  • Florian HardwigFlorian Hardwig Posts: 262
    edited September 2022
    You’ll want to check out Hansje van Halem’s Wind for another wind-themed typeface in variable font format. Slightly further removed: Vectro’s WHOA.

• Thank you ALL for your answers and examples. I checked some of them before and discovered some new impressive ones. But none with the curve.
    ...How do you create the effect? Have you tried with different kinds of typefaces? I think it might be extra cool if the wind has a stronger effect on the end of a word/sentence then the beginning, but not sure how to do that with variable fonts... Curious to see where it goes!
    I created the effect with the help of the Fontlab staff, explaining the creation of a custom axis, here CURVE.
    I began by slanting the glyphs, then determining a model curve and applying this model to the slanted verticals.
    To facilitate the process, I chose an "easy" font of mine with vertical stems and corners in multiples of 100 ("Amusette High").
    Of course the slanting angle and model curve can be set at whichever value or shape.
    Regarding the end of word/sentence, I never dreamed of that!  :smile:
    I'll try the effect with my other typefaces when I'm finished with this one.
    Curious to see where this goes!
    I'll keep you posted if you wish.

Thanks again for your informations!
  • I have seen wind-blown type examples but am not sure if they were a live font or outline editing of an existing font.
    I don't know if you can call this "wind-blown" but I found a rounded font in the same spirit in a Letraset catalog of 1988: "Retail". The only one.

Curious to see where this goes!
    After some problems with the custom axis "Curved" (didn't find enough documentation on this), I happened to create some "Eastwind" (to the left) masters by manipulating the axis.
    I am now updating these new masters. Could take time!

Note: Windows and some Windows softwares don't accept a TrueType Font with only a custom axis (at least in my experience). Adding an "Italic" one, even without an Italic master, resolved the problem!
  • I would love to know which apps those were
  • I would love to know which apps those were
    Hi Thomas,
    The "Fences v.3" desktop organizer for Win 10 didn't accept with a message like "Use only TrueType fonts..." for the tiles titles.
    "Win 10 > Parameters > Personalize > Fonts" displays the masters in a curious way: they are all displayed using the same master and sometimes using the same name when you modify the font size. 
  • Cool concept! How do you create the effect? Have you tried with different kinds of typefaces? I think it might be extra cool if the wind has a stronger effect on the end of a word/sentence then the beginning, but not sure how to do that with variable fonts. Could also be great for animation, e.g. text being blown in and out of the screen. Curious to see where this goes!
    Hi Jasper,
    I promised to keep you posted.
    I finished the font with the help of the Warp action re-introduced in Fontlab 8.
    This action replaced my work "by hand" based on a personal Global Mask.
    The font is now on daFont under the name "Crosswinds".

The ideal to demonstrate the font is an animation but I cannot join a video here.