PAID FREELANCE - Font Localization Wanted

Looking to hire someone for freelance to have an existing licensed font (Lemon Yellow Sun) localized, in the same style, to Hebrew, Thai, Hindi, Arabic, Korean, Chinese (traditional) and Chinese (simplified). 

If someone has the ability to do this for one, or multiple of the above languages, please reach out via william@nightschoolstudio.com

Comments

• John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    What you are describing is a major undertaking, especially the East Asian portions. It would be helpful to have an understanding of how the fonts would be used, and why Lemon Yellow Sun was selected as the Latin basis for the work.
  • Hi John,
    They will be used as in-video game text (not subtitles). Reason for font is style choice. The font choice is not able to be changed to better suite the localization. If certain of the listed languages are not able to be localized (east asian), we are still interested in localizing the font to the other listed languages.
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,732
    Hi John,
    They will be used as in-video game text (not subtitles). Reason for font is style choice. The font choice is not able to be changed to better suite the localization. 
    I think more effort in trying to solve that problem might be called for. There are other fonts out there that are at least broadly similar. The time delay and money involved in commissioning custom fonts is going to be pretty large.

How many styles of Lemon Yellow Sun are you looking for, just the regular? (It is available in different weights, etc.)

Do you have permission/approval from the original designer?

Covering large character sets is a lot of work, even in a simple and uneven kid’s-lemonade-stand style. I would expect that for that full set of languages, you would be into six figures in US dollars (≥$100,000). Maybe even well into six figures. Do you have that kind of budget?
  • Hi Thomas, 
    We are only interested in localizing the regular style, not the others.

Yes we have permission from the original designer.

Given the budget estimate provided, it would be best to send bids for this freelance commission by language so we can hash out what makes the most sense to localize per individual language bid. 
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,732
    I will note that there is considerable overlap between Chinese Simplified and Chinese Traditional, in terms of glyph set—although there may be different design norms.

I would bet that the two Chinese as a single item would cost as much as everything else put together. Funny thing about needing thousands of characters for even a basic font....

Korean and Hindi (Devanagari, actually, being the name of the writing system for Hindi) both have relatively large character sets, although a significant step down compared to Chinese. But the “complex writing system” status of Devanagari means extra skills are needed in creating a font for it.

Hebrew and Thai have the smallest character sets and are the least complex to develop fonts for, of the listed languages.