Alphabet 26

Did Bradbury Thompson’s Alphabet 26 ever get published as a computer font? Has anyone created a modern regular, semi-bold and bold version? I have seen A few adaptations but not the real thing.

Comments

• Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,397
    edited April 2022
    My impression is that "the real thing" never existed as a font of any kind: it was more of an alphabet idea that Thompson was proposing, exemplified by some modified Baskerville letters (or maybe not even modified, but simply combining small caps and lowercase). 
    That said, there are some obscure crumbs on the internet suggesting that a digitization project of Paul Baker's included consultation with Thompson. 
    Fontwise, I think Filosofia Unicase was the digital creation spinning off Thompson's ideas that got the most widespread use. It did not come in different weights (the unicase cut I mean).
  • Craig:
    Thanks. I found MEAN 26 and PARITY BOLD but they are not as charming as FILOSOFIA UNICASE. Which I love, but is not bold enough. 
  • Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,397
    It's more of a "both/and" than an "either/or" approach to cases, but if you're looking for heavyweight unicase fonts you may be interested in my Ambicase Fatface
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    edited April 2022

There are likely some unicase versions of typefaces, hiding in OpenType features.
    In my Scotch Modern Display, for instance, in which I put a unicase (Regular weight only) in “Titling Alternates”, a few years ago. Apparently there is now a <unic> code, perhaps this will become more of a thing in time. I don’t know how much support that has in layout apps.
    So far, I’ve only done a range of weights for unicase in a sans style.
  • Nick:
    That is a nice option. I will take a look. Thank you!
  • I needed a font that could be licensed but could not find a suitable one. I needed a regular bold font because of the need for multiple languages. Otherwise, I could have made it work with vector edits. I am giving up on unicase. Thank you.
  • John SavardJohn Savard Posts: 1,088
    There are open source versions of Baskerville that you could have used to make one.