Options

Adding a new glyph to a keyboard shortcut

There's a keyboard shortcut that has no character assigned to it in all the fonts I've tried: Alt + l (lowercase L). How do I add a glyph to this keyboard shortcut in Fontlab? Or how do I create a new glyph and then assign that keyboard shortcut to it?

Comments

• Options
    K PeaseK Pease Posts: 182
    I assume you're talking about the shortcuts Mac OS has for accented characters. Mac OS does this. A font has no control over how modifier keys work. The nearest thing you can do when creating a font, if you want a new glyph you can easily access, is to make the glyph a ligature of a string of characters you wouldn't use in any other circumstance, but they have to be normal characters, not modifier keys. And I imagine there is a way to program a custom shortcut so that Alt-L types that string for you, but it would only be on your computer.
  • Options
    John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,977
    On Mac OS Alt + lowercase l produces the ‘not logical’ symbol ¬ when using the standard US keyboard layout. Note that the character-to-key assignments are specific to both the OS and to the active keyboard layout, so may also vary if you are using a European keyboard.
  • Options
    Ukulele used to be a tool for creating custom keyboard drivers, years back. I’m not informed if it is still available.
  • Options
    Ukulele used to be a tool for creating custom keyboard drivers, years back. I’m not informed if it is still available.
    Yes, I used Ukulele for my German-Fraktur keyboard layout and placed ſ, ꝛ, aͤ, oͤ uͤ etc. under the level <shift><control><option>, but since Catalina it doesn't display (menu entry  "Keyboard overview") the keyboard layout for this level.
  • Options
    On Mac OS Alt + lowercase l produces the ‘not logical’ symbol ¬ when using the standard US keyboard layout. Note that the character-to-key assignments are specific to both the OS and to the active keyboard layout, so may also vary if you are using a European keyboard.
    On Mac German <alt> + lowercase l is @, and <shift>+<alt> + lowercase l is fl. Hungarian •, Ů.
    Irish •, Ů
    Croatian ¬,Ò
    Serbian-Latin ¬, Ò

• Options
    DanielilloDanielillo Posts: 10
    edited March 2022
    Thank you very much, very helpful all the answers, I didn't realize about the language and OS on the keyboard, one of the defects of being 100% immersed in the computer screen 😵. I finally fixed it by adding new extra glyphs. I'll share the font when it's online to get hard critics 🤕 😁