FL5, compiling error message, please help

… these messages are not meant to be understood by people like me. This time I get:  syntax error at "1"
Can anybody give a hint what it means?
(I checked my code lines about seven times… Blasted.)

Comments

• It's a syntax error in the FEA code file created by FontLab during compile.
    I think it is the line number, and line 1 would almost certainly be in the prefix header, perhaps the languagesystem statement.

But if you can check the temp .fea file created during the build, you should be able to tell for sure. As the build failed, I think it should still be there.
  • thank you Thomas. I spotted this file appearing for ca. 1sec in that Library>…>…Features folder and instantly it disappeared, I had no chance to get hold of it. What can be done about it?
  • Can you manually export a .fea file in FL5? (You can in later versions)
  • Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    FL5 holdouts unite! Check the names of the classes to make sure there are no conflicts. Check for syntax errors within those classes. I think FL5 compiles the content of the classes panel into the OT code before compiling so you won't see any of those errors in the OT panel.
  • Can you manually export a .fea file in FL5? (You can in later versions)
    yes I can export a .fea file. I did, its content starts with a listing of the classes.

FL5 holdouts unite! …
    Yeah!!! You can count on me Ray. ;)
    I did already correct an error in the classes names: _kern)   !
    But there must be something else.
  • … line 1 would almost certainly be in the prefix header, perhaps the languagesystem statement.
    how ought this line / that statement look like? The 1st line in my current .fea file begins with
            @_kernA=[A Aacute   ……
  • If export starts with classes, then presumably that is also where the error lay? Def try font generation again!

(Sorry, this is all super old for me. I was using pre-release versions of FontLab VI for a couple of years before it even shipped, so this is like 5+ years ago for me.)
  • Paul van der LaanPaul van der Laan Posts: 242
    edited February 2022
    Long shot but a common mistake -- do your features do things with numerals?
    Check if those numerals are defined by their glyph name ("one", "two", etc.) and not by their keystroke.
  • Are you comfortable posting or DMing your feature file, so we can take a look?
  • Hi Andreas, you may want to consider using OTM for a compiler check. The messages log (in the File menu) will inform you about the location of syntax errors, such as:

syntax error at "[class-name]" missing ";" [/TypeDrawers/02-02-2022/A_66_03T_1000.fea 26]

If there are mismatches in the classes or features definitions, OTM will compile anyway by subsetting them:

HOT [NOTE] Glyph "Andreas" not in font. [/TypeDrawers/02-02-2022/A_66_03T_1000.fea 25]

However, as shown below, the aforementioned log will inform you about the what and why of the subsetting. Of course, one can export subsetted features files for use in another font-tools based workflow.

OT Layout features subsetting in DTL OTMaster

• Can I have a look at the .fea file?

• I believe I was able to help Andreas, though he hasn't confirmed yet ;)
  • I can confirm that there is recent progress in the matter. – Thanks to you all!