The cooper black treatment...on a blackletter. Looking for your input.

2»

Comments

• Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,397
    I see the old-fashioned R as a K, and maybe the B as a U too. Interestingly, I don’t think the two weights work well together inline.
    Great work!
  • @Christian Thalmann My preference still lies with the double-story forms, but the single-story will be available as alts, and adding an /a to that is a great suggestion. Also agree on the wobblyness of fraktur /M (and related forms). I also don’t love /A, but the traditional form looks so much like /U that I’m hesitant to go with that. Time to hit some specimens I guess.

@Vasil Stanev Rudolf Koch would send a note in blackletter stating “Lecken Sie mich am Arsch” (lick my ass) to customers requesting free samples of his work.

• Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
    edited August 2020

@Vasil Stanev Rudolf Koch would send a note in blackletter stating “Lecken Sie mich am Arsch” (lick my ass) to customers requesting free samples of his work.

Na, na. Have some style: in the good old days when I got PRO7 on cable, I was exposed to this gem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_3gscOx1l0  B)

Strong language in the link! :)

Sorry, it's Saturday night. I'll let myself out.
  • I would reconsider the name.
  • @Craig Eliason I can see your point on the forms but am content with them. I agree they don't work great in-line! Altough black for titles and regular for text seems to work ok. Also the black weight lends itself well to a drop-cap (see attached).

@Andreas Stötzner  You don't like arsch, Andreas? Kidding. Perhaps its an immature name. Perhaps that's kind of the point. My initial name ideas were very serious-sounding with roots in medieval history, but none of it felt right. I'll keep looking.
  • K PeaseK Pease Posts: 182
    Perhaps your name can stay in the same neighborhood; a sly reference to Archie comics (whose title is an early example of the Cooper Black vein) would not be amiss. Something along the lines of Archdeacon, Archbishop, Archdemon, etc. (Or indeed Arsch- any of these things if you want to dig in your heels harder)
  • I love it!
  • Matthijs HerzbergMatthijs Herzberg Posts: 143
    edited January 2022
    Howdy folks, just a quick update for those interested: I finished and released this typeface. I ultimately ended up naming the font "Schmaltzy". Felt appropriate enough, and I like how the word looks set in the typeface.
    Biggest update since posting here has been the thin weight, which is also much narrower. Also added more opentype features and such, language support, blablabla.
    Maybe I'll write a blog post about it? Maybe not. Anyway, you can see her here.
  • Terrific work @Matthijs Herzberg as usual!
  • Congratulations! That came out really nice. Love the audacity of Thin /a/.
  • Not calling this Cooper Black Letter was a missed opportunity.
  • @Christian Thalmann @Craig Eliason Thanks fellas!

@Simon Cozens I’ve rarely had as hard a time naming a font as this one. Went through a lot of options, and Cooper Blackletter was definitely one of them. But in the end, that felt too reductive. You know how there’s towns who’s slogan is “gateway to […]”. Pathetic. I want it to be its own thing. So, Schmaltzy.