OpenType 1.9 released

I'm happy to be able to announce that OpenType 1.9 has been published.

The biggest change is the introduction of a second version of the COLR table. Support is already enabled in Chrome Canary builds, and I've seen some font developers already building fonts using the new capabilities.

Other significant changes include clarification of a number of details. Notable are clarifications for the 'glyf' table and various aspects of the TrueType instruction language. See the change log for other information.

Thanks to many people that contributed to the design for COLR v1 and to the many who reported issues on the spec or provided comments during the beta review.

Comments

• Plus support for Unicode 14 (new scripts and languages). :) 
  • Grzegorz Luk (gluk)Grzegorz Luk (gluk) Posts: 157
    edited December 2021
    and by the way, let my introduce my BroshK font in COLRv1 format :)

My algorithms are not yet perfect (no "Re-use layers"), but comparison to OT-SVG is is already interesting:
     - ttf:   112KB vs 427KB OT-SVG,
     - WOFF: 46,2KB to 46.9KB ?!?   

• The size differences are not surprising.

OT-SVG uses SVG for glyph outlines, so it is pretty inefficient space-wise compared to TTF. WOFF is pretty intelligent compression, so it manages to compress both down to the point where they are comparable.
  • Similarity of size between COLRv1 and OT-SVG with WOFF compression will depend a lot on the nature of the colour glyphs and on the compiler used. Google has worked a lot on the picosvg tool and the nanoemoji compiler to improve size efficiency, and you can see comparisons in their color-fonts repo. Here's some comparisons for WOFF sizes they shared in a recent presentation: