Aligning of overshoots in Outlined font

Dearest font geeks,
I've come into a trouble producing webfonts to outlined font - font that has single line skeleton and other styles are outlined from that master. The resulting styles are having progressively changing baseline position and cap height of every style. TTFA seems to nicely take care of cap height overshoots, but with baseline overshoots it is more complicated:

The alignment zones are set different to every style, could that be the problem? Or proximity of Y=0 and rounding to that? Unfortunately I can not set every style to sit on 0, as that would break the outlining scheme, which needs to be kept.

Adding the zones tab:

I've tried what I could, but haven't found solution. Any ides how to overcome this?

Thanks zillion times.

Jan Charvat

Tagged:

Comments

• You could turn off hinting on export. That way the alignment zones are irrelevant.
  • I'm not sure I understand the problem correctly. you are applying an offset curve filter to all your skeletons with no adjustment? wouldnt the paths themselves get lower and lower below the baseline in this scenario, and so this output is correct?

• I'm not sure I understand the problem correctly. you are applying an offset curve filter to all your skeletons with no adjustment? wouldnt the paths themselves get lower and lower below the baseline in this scenario, and so this output is correct?

Yes, that's exactly what is happening. It should resemble working with CNC machine, where you have single line path and you only change the diameter of the knife/grinder/laser etc.

• You could turn off hinting on export. That way the alignment zones are irrelevant.

Yes, that could solve that issue, but smaller sizes are pain. I thought one of the options could be WOFFs made of OTFs, but it does not look good under 26ppem. And the client probably uses it in smaller sizes... so not really an usable option.
  • Well for future readers, the baseline y=0 zone seems to be always present, so fiddling around that value with real bottoms does not give good results. Some sizes are ok, some not. So we had to break the rule specified by the client and all the webfonts starts as usual fonts on 0 (with overshoots below)