"All the old fellows stole our best ideas." Source?

F.W. Goudy is famous for the quote in the title above, but when/where did he say or write it?
Tagged:

Comments

• Not sure, but I'm reminded of another quote which I cannot source: "Don't you hate it when someone steals your best ideas and publishes them a hundred years before you were born" (or something to that effect)
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    Great question. The most specific reference I have is to Goudy’s statement being from ‘around 1915’, in Steven Heller’s Borrowed Design. That’s around the time of the production of Goudy Old Style for ATF, so perhaps look in the publicity materials and printing journals regarding that typeface?
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    I know it from how he used it as a couple of lines of text, beneath most of the full character showings in a self-penned monograph The Typophiles Chap Books XIII and XIV, A Half-Century of Type Design and Typography, published in 1945. A facsimile was published in 1978, Goudy’s Type Designs [Complete].

Here is the specimen from that book, for Monotype 38-E, his design for Gimbels department store in 1909.

• John SavardJohn Savard Posts: 1,088
    For those who are curious, the book by John Hope is: Thoughts in Prose and Verse, Started in His Walks.