Zooby

Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
edited October 2021 in Type Design Critiques
A little happy font in two versions I am drawing for fun :)

Comments

• Nice!
  • I would try to fudge the shades so that all the counters are filled in (like ABEFSUW...) or they all contain some white (like DEGOPQR...)
  • I would try to fudge the shades so that all the counters are filled in (like ABEFSUW...) or they all contain some white (like DEGOPQR...)
    I'm not sure if some of the eyes don't stand out just a tiny bit too much, in that way.  :o
  • They do; you'd probably want to make the counters smaller, if you go that route.
  • Lower case ?
  • Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
    edited October 2021
    Lower case ?
    Same as the UC. :smile:

• Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    edited October 2021
    If you want the Shadow version to have smoother typographic colour (as determined by its positive/black elements), you will have to adapt the Plain version in anticipation. The H and U, for instance, should be widened, so that the width of the positive stroke in the counter is not “extrusion + outline”. Similarly, lessen the top of the vertical right side of G so that it doesn’t touch the rest of the letter in the Shadow version. Then you have to decide, will that compromise the Fill too much?

One can’t expect the same glyph shape to work perfectly for both “Shadow” and “Fill”, with any substantial amount of weight in the “Plain/Fill” or extrusion in the “Shadow”.

A Shadow + Fill typeface should be conceived as such, with both versions developed concurrently, and not just spinning off the Shadow once the Plain is finished.  
  • Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
    edited October 2021
    @Nick Shinn
    Thank you for your input, insightful and useful as always.