OT: error on compiling (FL5)

When I finished the code and click ‘compile’ I get an error message which I don’t understand. Compiling failes.
What could cause that? The code is rather simple, b.t.w.

(I did check all the code lines twice, nothing suspect so far. Compiling with other fonts works properly).

Comments

• Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,652
    edited June 2021
    This is usually due to a missing or extra character in the feature code, or possibly a non-ascii character, like a smart quote.
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    syntax error?

• Hhm.
    Checked it again and again. All semicolons in place. No strange characters, no quotes. Syntax is OK.
    ?
    strange
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    Looks like it is looking at a close paren sign? Perhaps you substituted ) for } ?

• Simon CozensSimon Cozens Posts: 724
    Show the code - what's the contents of the file mentioned in the error?
  • Show the code - what's the contents of the file mentioned in the error?
    this is one of the things I don’t understand: in the folder [Features] – see path info in the error message –, there is just no file.
    Checked the code against ( and ) again … nothing.

If someone wants to look into it, see file attached.

• John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    Maybe its the leprechauns objecting to your use of GSUB to switch between Irish orthographies?  :D
  • Maybe its the leprechauns objecting to your use of GSUB to switch between Irish orthographies? 
    I hope not. I have applied this Irish special service to other fonts before and it works.
    I’m feeling foolish about it … damn.

• If someone wants to look into it, see file attached.

Nothing wrong with the file contents. Just a wild guess: maybe you should rename the font project file name; only including ASCII characters.

If that does not help, try to further minimize the feature code by divide and conquer.
  • I've had mysterious issues like this before. Resetting the opentype code and copying the features back in sometimes fixes it.
  • Also, double check that you don't have an illegal character in one of your kerning classes. That won't show up in the opentype panel but will still prevent compilation.
  • thank you, colleagues, I’ll try what you suggest and get back reporting, soon.
  • Too silly.
    There was a  in the name of a kerning class. I wasn’t aware that this is toxic, but that was it.
    André, you made my day  :)
  • Maybe its the leprechauns objecting to your use of GSUB to switch between Irish orthographies?  :D
    I’ve asked them, they find it pretty smart!

90 Leprechaun St Patricks Day Jumping Illustration And Painting  Illustrations amp Clip Art - iStock

• Glad you managed to sort it out!

For the record, though, I should note that Leprechauns are not normally considered to be reliable witnesses. They tend to be rather capricious in their expressed opinions.
  • … They tend to be rather capricious in their expressed opinions.

… so am I !  :#
  • Mike DugganMike Duggan Posts: 237
    Leprechauns? 🙄, about time to move on from that old stereotype chestnut…. 😏