What happened to VGC?

James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
edited July 2013 in History of Typography
Does VGC (Visual Graphics Corporation) still exist in some form? Or was it just dissolved? I’m thinking of scanning up the Alphabet Library to post on Flickr, but since the book is from 1988 I don’t want to piss off some crew of IP trolls holding old type related copyrights and trademarks.

Comments

• Stephen ColesStephen Coles Posts: 994
    edited July 2013
    Oh please do, even if low res. Will really help those of us who want to get our credits and research right. Mark already posted a few samples in this fine post.
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    This one won’t help much with attribution. At best it just confirms that VGC originated some faces
  • Stewf, you can download the VCG catalog in pdf from Luc's site
    http://luc.devroye.org/fonts-33103.html
  • Thanks, Pablo. Unfortunately that catalog is missing some of the earlier faces, like Lee and Modula.
  • Lee was digitized as Lester by Dan Solo
  • Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,652
    The VGC catalog scan on Luc's site is dated 1972. I've got a similar one (different cover, more fonts, including Lee Gothic and Modula) dated 8/72. It's been a very handy reference for years.
  • Ah, I mistook Luc’s PDF to be the 1985 version of the catalog because it was in the next sentence after he mentioned that one. Thanks for the clarification, Mark.
  • Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,652
    Yeah, that confused me too. And just to further confuse things, I meant to type 8/73, not 8/72. So, it's a year later than the one on Luc's site.
  • I was a competitor known as Facsimile Fonts from Fotostar international
  • FYI, I now have the 1988 Alphabet Library thanks to Rod McDonald who generously donated his copy. It’s been useful for filling in the Fonts In Use blanks for stuff that hasn’t been digitized. Posted Solitaire to Flickr. I'll let you know if anyone yells at me, James.