Are there type-design job opportunities in Europe for non-EU citizens?

I'm a beginner type designer with formal education in type design, computer science & mathematics. I've got some experience in programming.
I'm thinking of moving to Europe, but I don't have a EU citizenship (or work visa), and I'd like to stay in type design.
So I guess I'm looking for an employer that can possibly arrange a work visa for their employees.
Anybody knows of such a thing?

Comments

• Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
    edited May 2021
    I was under the impression you were a seasoned designer, you have said some pretty smart things as far as I remember from the board :) I don't know of such opportunities right now but I will be sure to notify you if I hear about it :)
  • @Ori Ben-Dor I guess apply directly to all EU type foundries... There are some lists of foundries, like:
    https://typefoundry.directory
    https://type.lol
  • Ori Ben-DorOri Ben-Dor Posts: 383
    @Vasil Stanev Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment! But I'm just graduating from EsadType Amiens now.

@Hrant H. Papazian Well, the thing is, I suspect most foundries can't sponsor non-citizens for work visas. I'd like to get a better understanding of the situation in general before I start applying to foundries (which most likely can't help me). Have you ever heard of a European foundry sponsoring non-citizen for a work visa?
  • Some businesses can and some can't?

Nothing off the top of my head, but you could look through the staff listings of the bigger foundries for foreigners, and ask them.
    Thanks for this tip!
  • Alex VisiAlex Visi Posts: 185
    What do you mean by “sponsoring”? Covering all the costs? I heard a few times that the employers (not foundries, but other small creative studios) were ok with signing any required documents for the visa, but not more than that just because they didn’t have people to do that. I hope there are different situations though, but type foundries are probably better off working with freelancers (remotely or not) than having full time staff, unless it’s a big foundry. I agree with Hrant, just see what foundries have more than 3-5 people and send them an email at least to know for sure. Somehow LucasFonts comes to mind as an example.

Keep in mind there are also some self-employed visas in some countries (I believe at least in Germany and Spain).

In any case, good luck!
    By sponsoring I meant the ability to raise your chances of getting a work visa by telling the government they want you as an employee. Maybe sponsoring isn't the right term.

I'll look into those self-employment visas, thanks for suggesting that!