How to Autotrace to avoid font copyright infringement

Piotr GrochowskiPiotr Grochowski Posts: 91
edited January 2021 in Font Technology
Edited by James Hultquist-Todd. Typedrawers does not support piracy.

Comments

• I wouldn't even trace a font already in the public domain.
  • I wouldn't even trace a font already in the public domain.
    That's because public domain can already be copied directly. For proprietary fonts or incompatible licensing it is not possible to directly copy without introducing copyright infringement but it can be avoided with Autotrace.
  • No I meant tracing is deathly boring.
  • This method allows type designers to make public domain fonts (or any other licensed fonts) based on the design of any-licensed font, even if they're proprietary.
    And this is why my EULA prevents modifications and derivative works.
  • Admins, what's this messageboard's stance on promoting plagiarism?
  • No I meant tracing is deathly boring.
    What? How is that even relevant? Autotrace is not something that makes type designers bored to death. If anything, it might crash and the type designer would restore the crashfile and save and continue. In the end, the outlines are nearly identical, the font is metric compatible and the type designer can proceed to manually fully hint the font (cvt, cvt delta, horizontal/vertical links, interpolates, inline delta, pre-IUP delta, post-IUP delta and such). Would you rather do copyright infringement and most likely not have the hinting source?
  • This method allows type designers to make public domain fonts (or any other licensed fonts) based on the design of any-licensed font, even if they're proprietary.
    And this is why my EULA prevents modifications and derivative works.
    I do not recommend making proprietary software. There are countless EULA that do this as well. An Autotraced font does not count as a derivative work as it lacks any recognizable form of the code of the original.
  • Now you're promoting font duplication and theft of intellectual property? Nice. 
  • Now you're promoting font duplication and theft of intellectual property? Nice. 
    Most typefaces are not intellectual property, even though there are some that are patented.

I'm curious as to what you actually hope to achieve by promoting this.

If you want to rip designers off, just point people to unscrupulous Russian download sites. At least it's more honest.
    I don't live in Russia and the tools to Autotrace are free software. I hope to achieve free fonts that compete with other fonts.
  • Jasper de WaardJasper de Waard Posts: 617
    edited January 2021
     I hope to achieve free fonts that compete with other fonts.
    I have so many questions I don't know where to begin. Why do you want to achieve free fonts that compete with other fonts? Do you believe it is unjustified that fonts cost money? If they didn't cost money, most of them would not have been made in the first place. Do you disagree? Do you care at all about the ethics behind this?

I do not believe that your intentions are evil, but I truly fail to see the point of this. Care to enlighten me?
  • Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    edited January 2021
    Officer, I didn't see a speed limit sign so that means I wasn't speeding. Is it possible to circumvent the EULA by ignoring it?

Piotr has been here for a while and knows that this place is primarily inhabited by people who make their living in type design. To come here and present a tool that circumvents what little protection we have is the dictionary definition of edgelord behavior.

Collins Dictionary
    Merriam Webster
  • edited January 2021
    Tracing is ideologically deficient.

The no-mod clause is unethical.

Let's not be anti-Russian (in imitation of certain Western demagogues).

Removing posts is a form of fascism.

Avoiding public confrontation is the purview of manipulators.
  • Moderating an internet forum is the cruelest incarnation of tyranny.
    @Hrant H. Papazian The boringness of autotraing is worth discussing but perhaps better suited to thread that's not promoting a font piracy tool.
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    autotracing makes shit type
  • Officer, I didn't see a speed limit sign so that means I wasn't speeding. Is it possible to circumvent the EULA by ignoring it?

Piotr has been here for a while and knows that this place is primarily inhabited by people who make their living in type design. To come here and present a tool that circumvents what little protection we have is the dictionary definition of edgelord behavior.

Collins Dictionary
    Merriam Webster
    So you're even admitting most are commercial type designers. I have no use for a website where most users are not genuinely interested in fontdevelopment but rather are desperately trying to avoid going homeless. I do not have respect over such a community and I permanently quit it.
    Goodbye.
  • Piotr Grochowski said:
    I have no use for a website where most users are not genuinely interested in fontdevelopment but rather are desperately trying to avoid going homeless. I do not have respect over such a community and I permanently quit it.
    This is exactly as much about you as it is about any other individual: zero.
  • Paul MillerPaul Miller Posts: 273
    edited January 2021
    Piotr Grochowski why not come up with something new and original.  That's much more fun.
  • Nope.
This discussion has been closed.