Devanagari Critique

Hi all.

I am in process of developing a Devanagari (+Latin) typeface. The use-case is to make a tall Headline-like Devanagari font face which does not limit itself to straight lines and embraces curves when needed.

The family will have five weights (300-700). 
Here's an attachment showing the lettering and the design in 3 weights.

Critique appreciated. :+1:

Tagged:

Comments

• John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    The mix of flat-sided bowls and rounded bowls is very inconsistent, and means the design has no overarching look and feel. You should decide which is going to be the characteristic form of the design, and try to implement it consistently.

The relative proportions of the letters are quite removed from traditional norms. That can be okay, but it helps to have a system so that the width differences don't end up randomly distributed. The light weight vowel letters you show have the ‘tall headline-like' proportions you say you want, but the other weights don't follow through consistently.

It would be helpful to see full sets of letters in the lightest and heaviest weights, presuming these are your master designs.
  • kedarkedar Posts: 14
    edited December 2020
    Thanks @John Hudson for the feedback.
    "The mix of flat-sided bowls and rounded bowls is very inconsistent"
    Can you plz elaborate more on this?
    Do you mean something like the lower bowl in which is more rounded than the lower bowl in ?

I see what you mean by the 
    ‘tall headline-like' consistency missing from bolder weights. I will fix that.

Here's 
    full sets of letters in all 5 weights:

• John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    Do you mean something like the lower bowl in अ which is more rounded than the lower bowl in ?
    Yes, and other examples. These seem to me very different ways of constructing shapes, each imparting a particular character to the overall design if consistently applied. If the typeface uses two different construction methods, the result is a design without a coherent character.
  • I think required more work at character Sa and Da