Packaging Font Files for Purchase

Hi,
How do you go about creating the zip files for purchase in your type store – desktop and webfont – (if you do it at all).
Do you do it by hand or know a great tool that saves you lots of time? I'm interested in the latter :)
Thank you!

Comments

• RalfRalf Posts: 170
    … a great tool that saves you lots of time?
    Sure: Automator, which comes free with every Mac.
    If I update anything in our font packages (font files, PDF specimens, EULA PDF) I just need one click to re-create all packages at once. Folders, ZIP-files, whatever you like.
    You can also let Automator put the date into the names, so you can always keep track of all the versions you have created and shipped in the past.
  • Ramiro EspinozaRamiro Espinoza Posts: 839
    edited May 2013
    Note that ZIP files created in a Mac will display some extra files when opened in a PC. And this it not the case the other way around.
  • Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,652
    edited May 2013
    I use AppleScript to build packages. I could use Automator (which is basically just a visual interface to AppleScript), but I’m just more familiar with working directly in Script Editor.

There used to be an app called ZipIt that would create .zip files without the extra Mac stuff, but it was PowerPC-only. More recently I’ve been using StuffIt Deluxe which gives you all sorts of options for creating .zip files, such as leaving out the extra Mac stuff. It also lets you create a sort of shortcut with the settings you like with a thing called DropStuff. Using this, I can just select all the folders and drag them onto DropStuff, creating all the .zip files in one step.
  • RalfRalf Posts: 170
    Note that ZIP files created in a Mac will display some extra files when opened in a PC.
    You can just drag & drop the files onto ZipCleaner if necessary:
    https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25497/zipcleaner
    edited May 2013
    One thing I like about DropStuff is that you can configure it so that it creates a separate .zip for each item if you drag multiple items onto it, rather than a single .zip containing all the items. Although, there's probably a way to get the same effect with Automator.
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    I also use drop stuff. Sure I could write automated actions or try to remember the right switches for the command line version of zip. But I don't do that many font releases so it's easier to just drag-and-drop
  • Beware: zip files created in the Mac Finder are not compatible with the built-in unzipper in versions of Windows 7 that support Encrypting File System. (For more, see this & this.)
  • Jan SchmoegerJan Schmoeger Posts: 280
    When I had trouble long time ago, John Collins told me to get YemuZip. It does batch or single file zips without the Mac stuff, and it's free:
    http://www.yellowmug.com/yemuzip/
  • Alex KaczunAlex Kaczun Posts: 163
    Right you are, Jan. YemuZip It all!

I've been using this simple app for years... never any issues.
  • YemuZip here too.
    That looks like a nice option if you only have a few to do. When I do a distribution set for Proxima Nova, I need to make 79 separate .zip files for some vendors. DropStuff can do it in one step.
  • Deleted AccountDeleted Account Posts: 739
    edited May 2013
    Abuse flag = "79 separate .zip files for some vendors."

I would go straight to their clients, or another vendor if they couldn't handle one .zip file per family. ;) Oh wait — do we do that?
  • Jan SchmoegerJan Schmoeger Posts: 280
    David, Mark is not doing the abusing. I know the vendor too, and I do not mind. Please remove the mark. We had enough of that stuff recently.
    It’s MyFonts. It gets kind of crazy when it’s a big family. Most other vendors just need the fonts and a spreadsheet to specify the various packages and prices. But, hey, no big deal when you have a computer to do it.
  • Just kidding.
  • Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    I usually use WinRAR but every once in a while, when I'm dealing with my full set (4 kilofonts). I'll use 7-Zip from the command line using an old-fashioned DOS batch file.

I remember a while ago, MyFonts asked, "why are you bothering with family zips?". At the time, they were the only distributor that had required them, so I deleted them all en-masse. Then a few months later, they asked me why I wasn't including family zips. Aww, man.

Now, when I release new fonts, I update a batch file that can regenerate the whole shebang from the command line with 7-Zip.
  • By chance does anybody has a YemuZip version that work with 10.6? I checked in OldApps but there is nothing...
  • http://mac.filehorse.com/download-yemuzip/2747/

YemuZip 2.4.5 works with Snow Leopard.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    It is good being King ;-)
  • Thanks!
  • I learned that Python has a zipfile module that's convenient for generating multiple zips with different permutations of fonts, e.g. —
    import os, zipfile    
    my_zip_file = zipfile.ZipFile("fonts.zip", 'w', zipfile.ZIP_DEFLATED)
    for root, dirs, files in os.walk(path_to_fonts):
        for f in files:
            zip_file.write(os.path.join(root, f))
    my_zip_file.close()