Legalizing a personal "workhorse" font for a specific client

Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
edited October 2020 in Type Business
Hello guys and gals,
in the previous year I have developed a grotesk that I use for personal projects and jobs for clients. This way I have no legal troubles and I know I have a quality font.
However, a client liked the font so much that she decided she wants full right and that this font is used from now on ONLY for her company. Also, she wants more weights and matching italics.
How do I word the legal agreement so everyone is happy, and what should be a normal price for this license, and for further modifications? For now it is only used for print collateral and web assets, but one day it could be optimized for the web, and whatever new technology comes along.
I believe others have had the same issue.

Comments

• JoyceKettererJoyceKetterer Posts: 792
    edited October 2020
    @Vasil Stanev  Would she be happy with an exclusive renamed customization?  That's the path of least resistance.  If no, I have other ideas.
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    As Joyce said, "exclusive renamed customization" seems like the best way to go. Then, you could use your own font as you wish and adapt changes as she sees fit in the future.
  • @Chris Lozos This usually doesn't work for us because the customer asking is usually in a hurry.  But in this case she's already asking for some expansions so it might work.
  • Alex VisiAlex Visi Posts: 185
    “She liked it” right away doesn’t sound like a big company that can cover you all of the development costs and potential sales/usage. And you’d also need to design yourself a new workhorse — who’d pay for that?