Options

Thoughts on Monotype and its subsidiaries?

13»

Comments

• Options
    @Joe Manbeck I'm not suggesting they already are but my understanding is that anyone who has had taxes withheld by a US entity can file taxes here in order to get a refund.  Perhaps that's not true for non treaty countries but it's certainly worth asking an accountant.  My understanding is that these taxes are withheld "just in case" not that they are actually due.  
  • Options
    Igor FreibergerIgor Freiberger Posts: 253
    edited October 2020
    If possible, the US refund is probably only feasible for a designer with good sales due to the accountant cost.

After deducting the distributor share, the US tax, and the local taxes, a Brazilian like me would get only 21 cents (MyFonts) or 30 cents (FontSpring) from each Dollar sale. It is time to try another career. Cocaine, perhaps?
  • Options
    @JoyceKetterer My understanding from our tax lawyers is that that money is gone, simply the cost of doing business in the US for a foreign corporation or individual without a tax treaty with the US. If we knew otherwise, we'd be advising our foundry partners much differently.
  • Options
    In fact, I stopped to put new products directly on Monotype since that big contractual change occurred in 2016, I know that probably I'm losing money with this decision but My feelings with that situation were and still are really bad.

As you can see the cake is really really badly sliced for each member of a foundry team.
  • Options
    That 30% sounds like it'd be worth to publish through a publisher that sits in a country that has a tax treaty with the U.S. — such publisher could then take a much smaller commission than the U.S. tax is. It might even be worthwhile of pooling together some people to start such a company, no? 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    That 30% sounds like it'd be worth to publish through a publisher that sits in a country that has a tax treaty with the U.S. — such publisher could then take a much smaller commission than the U.S. tax is. It might even be worthwhile of pooling together some people to start such a company, no? 
    Absolutely, I think I should start to do a research process then and try to find a Company partner and after 11 years start again.